• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator mystery

DrewR

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys -

Radiator mystery here...2001 Cherokee seemed to be leaking/using radiator fluid....had it flushed and checked for leaks last week, all checked out. (Radiator and tstat was replaced 10k ago - has total of 71k)

Anyway, today, it seemed to be running a bit warmer than usual since the service today....checked it and the overflow tank indicated I needed to ADD fluid...no obvious leaks and the vehicle runs great otherwise.

I am totally confused and hacked off, but thought I would pick your brains before I took it in again....

Thanks and have a good weekend.
Andrew in Norfolk

before you drive it anymore....take the oil cap off and look inbetween your number 3 and 4 cylinders to see if there is any coolant in the oil! If you are having a crappy day like i did recently with the exact same situation (even flush a couple of weeks before) you will find a wonderful mix of oil and coolant on your oil fill cap! If so, have fun!
However, i hope you do just have a leak somewhere and everything works out, but dont just keep filling it up with fluid until you find out where its going!

It's going somewhere, check your oil and see if it is muddy looking like a milkshake,if thats good then I would suggest replacing your water pump, it's probably about to fail and coolant is leaking out of the weep hole on the bottom of the pump. It's a two hour job in the driveway not counting running for parts. Use a new waterpump, not a rebuilt one.

Thanks for the advice. Oil is ok (it was just changed also), so I think it is the water pump as the heater is not kicking out heat like it should.

I don't have the equipment or expertise to do the repair myself, so how much can I expect to pay to have this done?

Battening down for tomorrow's Nor'easter.

Andrew

Changing out the waterpump isn't that hard. A couple hours work at the most so I would say your are looking at between $100-250 with parts depending on what mechanics in your area charge. Really all you need is a small socket set and some box end wrenches - I would spend the $100 on tools and do it yourself. It would cost less, you get to keep the tools, you learn a bit about your jeep, and you get the satisfaction and dirty hands of a job well done. I have done this on my lunch hour at work before - never buy a rebuilt water pump - you will be doing the job again soon if you do - voice of experience.

Yupp. and while youre replacing the water pump it cant hurt to replace the radiator hose(s) depends on how much you wanna spend. I usually end up cutting one off. Ive had an upper rad hose blow on me out of nowhere.....they are cheap and will leave you stranded......Specially with the hot months comin up...I used to live in Elizabeth City, NC and i remember how hot it can get there...Good luck!!!

Back