• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Question

Yeah, that was one issue with this. The metal one on there has lasted 200K. Im kind of leery about the longevity and strength of plastic although the aluminum core sounded like it might do a better job of cooling (?). That, and the neck, petcock and hose connections are plastic too. Kind of cheesy, doesn't seem like it'd take alot of abuse.

If it springs a leak iot can't be welded (brazed) is another downfall.

Price is the same.

All metal. The petcock on mine was plastic but you can get replacements if that ever has an issue. Mine leaked so I just replaced it with a bolt, rubber washer and some silicone.

The problem with the composite radiator is NOT the plastic, its the joint between the plastic/metal. The plastic headers are basically crimped on with a seal between the metal/plastic. After some time, expansion/contraction works that joint and it springs a leak. I've actually fixed/reduced a leak or two by squeezing the crimps with a pair of pliers. NOT that I would trust that as a long term fix, but it did get me by for the short term.

So, yes, ALL METAL is the way to go, all metal joined with solder/brazing is far more reliable and stronger than crimping a plastic header on the ends with a gasket.

Back