• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing a car with stock XJ

GTaranto

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searches and could not find anything about whether a stock XJ (mine is a 91 so 27 spline 8.25) could tow another car long distances. I have a 4.0L HO and automatic trans w/ cooler.

If not, what are requirements to being able to tow another vehicle long distances. I will be moving in 6months and would like to tow my wifes car on a flat bed, its about 2600lbs (her car that is).

Thanks, Greg

I dunno, XJ is rated at 5,000 lbs i believe. I pulled a two place snowmobile trailer with two sleds on it and the XJ HATED it on the highway, the wind is a big deal. Id imagine a car would be a lot of wind drag.

Around town it didnt care.

I towed a 93 grand prix with my xj and it was hell. It was the middle of winter and it almost overheated the Jeep multiple times. Got my money's worth out of the 8.25 though. Good memories but wouldn't consider it practical for doing it often. In a pinch, yes. Daily, no.

i have a 00 xj with a 4.5 lift..and towed my 93 dodge intrepid about 40k on a old crappy tow dolly ... it towed it fine but stoping and going highway speed was out of the question.. how far do you want to tow the car? one other idea is talk to the guy who drive those big transport car haulers and get a quote from them.. buddy of mine had hes car moved by them about 550k and cost $150.. you can easly work with those guys by teling them they can move the car to your new place anytime saw in the next 2 weeks...

XJ's have thin radiators though. Maybe a good coolant flush and watching RPM's would help, but being a 4speed may not be too helpful for the RPM's and engine cooling.

I towed a friends 89 vw gti racecar with my fathers stock 01 xj. We used a towbar. Car is a track car so with the towbar it weighed in at under 2200lbs. Round trip was maybe 30 miles total.

Overdrive was useless, I manually shifted the a/t for starting off and going up and down hills. Stopping wasn't too bad but you could feel the brakes start to fade. Wind on the highway sucked as well as keeping a steady 65mph on the highway.

Engine temp was fine. No trans cooler on his rig but trans felt fine afterwords, fluid didn't smell burnt and had same consistency as before the tow. Not too sure on trans temp as no gauge. He does all the regular mainenance so the fluid was pretty fresh to begin with. I wouldn't do it again without an auxiliary trans cooler though.

mikereid350 said:
i have a 00 xj with a 4.5 lift..and towed my 93 dodge intrepid about 40k on a old crappy tow dolly ... it towed it fine but stoping and going highway speed was out of the question.. how far do you want to tow the car? one other idea is talk to the guy who drive those big transport car haulers and get a quote from them.. buddy of mine had hes car moved by them about 550k and cost $150.. you can easly work with those guys by teling them they can move the car to your new place anytime saw in the next 2 weeks...

40 Thousand miles and 550 thousand miles thats a long way to pull anything unless you have an 18 wheeler!!!!

mikeforte said:
40 Thousand miles and 550 thousand miles thats a long way to pull anything unless you have an 18 wheeler!!!!
if you look at his location i am willing to guess that k in this application means kilometers

GTaranto said:
I'm in the Navy, I graduate school in 6 months, I can then go anywhere there is a sub base. As short as Georgia, as far as Seattle, WA

get your @$$ out here great area and plenty of us retarded NWC folk.

i have towed a 93 ranger, 86 fiero and another 89xj will my truck. the ranger and fierio were on a 1000lb trailer. the xj was on a towbar

pay close attention to your brakes. wire the proper lights. trans cooler. atleast triple your braking distance. becareful merging into highways.

Back