• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed Wobble

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
So I put my lift and what not in my XJ (90 Sport 4x4) and anytime on the highway as soon as I hit "80" KMH(that's what the needle says) I get a slight wobble.

However, when I turn left, the wobble gets worse, with however sharp I turn. If I turn right at all, the wobble disappears totally. (This is doing "80"+)

Both of my wheel bearings had a little bit of play, I replaced the driver side because it was worse and I only had one at the time. Still no difference. There is no play in the steering, so that leaves me with the belief of ball-joints. However other XJ'ers I know of claim that when they needed ball-joints, their trucks still didn't do that...

Any ideas, information or fix very appreciated.

Thanks.

Usually if the DW comes at a certain speed its because a tire or rim needs balancing. Usually if its a ball joint you can get DW at any speed. Check the balancing on all the wheels you could have lost a weight on one of them. Also did you get the XJ aligned? Thats usually the biggest cause of DW. Good Luck

I agree with checking tire balance, although I certainly wouldn't call this a case of death wobble. Toe-in is very easy to check with a tape measure, too.

I thought i had DW awhile back. Turns out my lower trackbar was really loose.

The other thing i would check is the tread on the tires to see if they are worne funny. If they have more wear on the outside or inside of the tire that could be your problem too!

Back