• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfercase?

imbthree

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 92 cherokee that has a 3" lift with 31's. The guy told me that he replaced the tranfercase and tranny about two years ago. The transfercase selection panel on the inside reads 2wd>4wd part time>4wd full time>N>4wd low, the tranfercase itseld has the tag saying "new process" and below that is the model number "242 J" and below that it says "272" (i think) for the gears. He told me when I bought it that it has2wd>4wd part time>N>4wd low. I tested it (the right way ,in the mud :D ) and he was right. Its has the selections of a NP231 but the case itself says its a NP242. My question is did he just swap out the guts or is something broke inside?

also i was looking at the "what axle do I have" sticky and on the rear axle it has two tags hanging off of two of the diff cover bolts. one says "35" and i think the other one says "0,3 or 9,4,2" that leads me to beleave that its a dana 35 but the diff cover looks like the Chysler 8.25. I based that assumption off of the pics in the sticky thread. the cover has too much crap on it to see if theres any stampings on it. so what do you guys think dana or chysler. I would like to order a diff guard but i want to be sure i order the right one. Sorry for the book and thanks for any help. -Shaun

The TC you have 242 has a part time and a Full time 4WD mode in it.
Part time High is used in off-road situations ,there is no slipage between the front and rear drive train
Full Time High -can be used on dry hard surfaces as the TC has a differental ability when in that mode,the front or rear driveshaft can rotate at different speeds and not cause damage to the TC.
Part Time Low range-locks the front & rear together and has the 2.72 gear reduction in the TC engaged.
From your description the shift bezel on the console was changed with the TC,so they match.
A 8.25 axle will have a flat rib running under the bottom of the cover.A D35 cover and a 8.25 cover look similar,but the D35 does not have a flat on the bottom of the housing.
Wayne

the case and bezel say its a NP242 but when i actually use the 4wd I only have the shifting options of a NP231! I know the differance between the 242 and the 231. Its comparable to putting honda tags,decals and vin numbers on a ferrarri.the stampings say one thing but the guts inside are another. Does that make sense? It kinda does to me. thanks for any input. -Shaun

Shaun, the old transfer case was also a 242. Matter of fact its still in my scrap pile behind the shop. It honestly worked fine, but the chain was streched. I got the trans and transfer case together that's why I replaced it. Never had any problems with either case shifting though. The only thing I can think of would be maybe a linkage adjustment. I know with the drop down brackets the linkage sits a little at an angle, but I never had a problem. I also saw in another post your looking for the dash bezel with the fog lamp/r defog switches-I have one. I was gonna put it in that truck but never got around to it. You can have it if you want. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm or call me.-Brian

Brian- So when you had it you could put it in 4wd part time/4wd full time or 4wd low. Everytime I use it the transfercase lever goes from 2wd straight up to the 4wd full time and bypasses the 4wd part time completely. It shows on the dash that its in 4wd part time but on the bezel it shows me in 4wd full time. It still works so its not a real big deal to me I just wanted to know just incase I need to get an SYE or some thing else for it down the road I want to make sure I say I have the right model transfercase. The JEEP is still running strong and still has an anti-freeze leak. I think it might be comming from an o-ring by the radiator cap. It only leaks every once in a while, not a big deal. I hooked up a cb but dont have an antenna yet. That last freak snow storm we had about two weeks ago my buddy went into a ditch with his mustang and called me for the honors to pull him out. When I tried to pull him out his front just slid sideways and stayed in the ditch so I drug his ass through the ditch for a 1/4 mile till we hit a cross road I could pull him up onto:yelclap: . It was the greatest feeling in the world seems how my liberty can barely pull its own weight out of a ditch let alone someone elses car. I've had tons of comments on it already and am glad I bought it. It was a great deal on a great JEEP! Be sure to send pics when you lift your new JEEP. Also, I'd love to have the switch panel so I can hook up some lights without havin a tacky glowing red switch hanging in an odd ball spot.

92XJ001.jpg

Last edited:
Shaun-I'd try disconnecting the linkage and shifting the tc lever by hand just to check. I'll bet it might be a linkage adjustment due to the transfer case drop. Only thing I can think of. We used the full time position out on the farm roads in the winter all the time (wife thought it was great).Glad to here she's running good and your happy with it! And yes your right, we always got alot of compliments on it too. Funny what a little lift and bigger tires can do to change the looks of these things. Once I lifted it, I had to explain the whole "jeep wave" thing to the wife. She thought I just knew a lot of poeple that owned jeeps! LOL. I'll box up the switch panel for you if you want to pay for the shipping. Should be able to call fed-ex or ups and tell them u need a pick up at my shop and give them your info. let me know!

Wayne Sihler said:
A 8.25 axle will have a flat rib running under the bottom of the cover.A D35 cover and a 8.25 cover look similar,but the D35 does not have a flat on the bottom of the housing.
Wayne

x2

and the d35 does NOT have a Chrysler Emblem cast into the bottom of the housing like the 8.25 ;)

Also,trying to remember, pretty sure r/axle was a D35. the new (to me) one has the 8.25 and I don't remember the flat bottom of it on the 92. real apparent if you had them side by side.

I figured when I pulled straight back on the transfercase lever and it went straight to part time that it had NP231 guts.....well today I tried all the selections and BAM, there it is, full time. Its gotta be a linkage problem like you said Brian. The only two selections I can make is PART TIME, which when selected the lever stops in the FULL TIME position on the bezel and FULL TIME, which when selected the lever stops in the 4LOW position on the bezel. Neutral and 4LOW are not accessable at all. Heres pics of what im talkin about.

PART TIME
92XJ017.jpg

FULL TIME
92XJ018.jpg

Im gonna have to get it in the shop and get that taken care of. I'd do it but i don't wanna mess it up even worse! Thanks for the input guys, its nice to have a home away from home with all the answers!:D

I figured out the problem. The stabilizer pin (I guess thats what you'd call it) on the linkage popped out of its hole and because of that there was massive amounts of play in the linkage. Popped it back in its hole and its all good now. Im happy, I just saved my self a couple bucks!:clap: Thanks to all who tried to help! -Shaun

92XJ0211.jpg

Glad to here it was something easy to fix!!! Didn't want you thinking I sold you a piece of junk...LOL. Like I said it always worked fine for me, The wife even used it when she would drive it. You can use the tracking # that I PM'ed you to find out when your switches will arrive-just go on UPS'es website. Any more questions, feel free to ask me. For how long I owned that jeep I know it pretty well... Brian

Back