• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with a problem

Cowboydoc

NAXJA Forum User
Got a little problem and was wondering if there was anyone else that knew of it. My 86 is cutting out and stalling when I turn right, below half a tank. I am wondering if it's crud in the pump sock, or rust in the tank, but I was wondering if anyone else knew of something it could be. Thanks in advance.

Doc

Couple things we need to know...motor? Carb/Fuel Injection?

You'll get a lot more answers too if one of the mods can move it to the OE tech forum.

Fuel injected would have to be something in the tank. Could be a leak or blockage inside, so that when the level is under half, then it loses fuel around a corner. Could also be a break in the wiring, that only opens around a corner, but that wouldn't explain why it only happens under half tank.

Bottom line....looks like someone is gonna have to pull the tank and find the problem.

Is it really only when its under half the tank? Cause my Jeep was doing the same thing, i thought it was gas at first too but then it turned out to be the CAS was slipping out around right turns. But if it IS the fuel, go with John's suggestion and pull the tank and check the pump...

swbooking said:
Is it really only when its under half the tank? Cause my Jeep was doing the same thing, i thought it was gas at first too but then it turned out to be the CAS was slipping out around right turns. But if it IS the fuel, go with John's suggestion and pull the tank and check the pump...

I'm gonna be the dumb guy...CAS?

hmmmm could be a loose ground wire?
battery shifts of something could shift and acuse an allready loose ground wire to lose connection for a second?...
just a thought

xjpheonix said:
hmmmm could be a loose ground wire?
battery shifts of something could shift and acuse an allready loose ground wire to lose connection for a second?...
just a thought

Good Call...didn't think of that one...I'll check it and see if that is the case.

CAS = Crank Angle Sensor... Its Ok at one point in time i didnt know what it was either.

swbooking said:
CAS = Crank Angle Sensor... Its Ok at one point in time i didnt know what it was either.

CAS ? air sensor...............never heard that term to describe the crank position sensor...........live and learn.................die and forget it all.

i think it came about when they started runnin cam angle sensors they threw them all into an angle catagory...
haha who knows i didnt hear them called angle sesors till a couple years ago

Technically an angle is a position... I could probably graph it for you on the unit circle... LOL

Last edited:
HAHA naw its all good... i dont care, i just finished wiring a full microtech for an RX7 and its called a crank angle sensor on that motor, i guess i just didnt pay close enough attention that theres a difference in name... oh well.

Back