• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know its a jeep and not a cadillac but still!!!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well ive had my lift for over a year now, had some skyjacker hydro7000 on there and then switched them out for some new Pro Comp es3000 shocks, well it rode quite well when i first got the new shocks on and aligned once more jks quicker discos, it rode very smooth. well after a while i got so tired of feeling every little bump and rock i ran over. Got a new steering stabalizer to help with the steering and felt a little improvement. Well in my neighborhood i have to go over about 4 speed bumps coming and going. and here latley they had been feeling really rough, and it almost feels like my shocks are bottoming out when i after my front tires are co ming off the bump but the shock travel is fine and i feel like i have no bounce. i just got it aligned about 2 months ago and never drive it fast over bumps. but was wondering if anything such as a new steering setup might help???? or if my shocks are just crap??

Pro Comp shocks are junk IMO. Get a set of RS9000's and you will ba a happy camper. I absolutely love mine, I run them on 4 when I am unloaded and I can bump the rears up a little when i am loaded and it makes a noticeable difference.

Well was thinking of getting some bilstein, but they are a little pricey...What about the RE twin tube?? OME are out of the question, not paying 80 bucks a pop. what are some other awesome options?

If you're not willing to pay as much as $80 a shock, get used to your rig riding like crap. The cheaper options will do ok on the street but fry the first time you go offroad, or suck with one or the other. Bilstien 5150's or Rancho 9000 series are about the baseline for a decent offroad shock.

OMEs are worth EVERY single penny of the eighty clams each! As stated, if yer not willing to pony up the ducets, yer ride is gonna be crappy, or so so at best.

up the cash for some bilstein they are guaranteed for life, not sure if OME is i wouldnt be surprised. Shocks are a wear item and you get what you pay for, if you pay for cheap crap you are lucky to get any crap. Pro comp is disposable shock you put a rig before you sell it.

did a price check for ya at summit the bilstein base shock is $62 each

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...0+4294924744+115+4294908279&Ntk=KeywordSearch

5100 series is $79.00

gotta pay to play. They arent cheap bilsteins are a very good value though.

Last edited:
I have DT3000 Doetsch Tech and for a cheap shock they are very good. I had the Rancho RS5000 and they are pure crap compared to the DT3000. My XJ seems to ride pretty damn nice for a shock that I was planning on replacing in the near future. I was planning on running them for a year and then looking into getting some OME but now I won't have to because they good enough for me. My XJ rides better now than it stock with the Ranchos it has RE 3.5 coils and a S10 bastard pack rear with 1.5" lift shackle and it rides surprisingly nice. Sure you should get OME, Bilstein etc.. but if you are on a budget you can't go wrong with the DT3000 for 160 shipped from jeepinoutfitters.

I just ordered some 12" travel Bilstein 5150s. When they arrive, I'll take some photos or maybe a video if I can get a working video cam. Might have to bring the laptop outside to get it to work...lol! :idea:

You can't really get much better than the 5150s without spending $200 per shock (considering shipping is almost always ridiculous it seems)..:twak:

Well so now im leaning more towards the bilsteins, any RE shocks any good?? but what im wondering is my pro comp lift has settled at about 3.5"-3.75 leveled. but usually shocks jump from 0"-3" to 4"-5.5" and so on that ive seen. i want the perfect height and was reading my copy of " Jeep Cherokee high performance buyers guide" and it was telling me to flex it and measure something or another. Im looking at about spending $200-$225, because i also have some other things im buying as well. ( Lebaron hood vents, modine 2 core radiator) and saw that jeepinoutiftters has a set of 4 RE twin tube shocks for $189, wondering how ya'll felt about those.

Last edited:
Jeepinoutfitters also sells the Bilsteins. You have to type Bilstein under the search box I think, cause that's the only way I found them.

I bought mine from ORW for $450 shipped with a set of 28" limiting straps. I really really recommend limiting straps so your shocks and/or brake lines ain't taking up the slack (i.e. ripping mounts and lines off is a bad thing).... lol :D

I bought the ES3000's couple years back and they are just as stiff as ever , its been said they all have the same valving whether its a 3000lb jeep or a 6500lbs full size truck . well anyhow , has anyone used the Rockkrawler shocks , Discount jeep parts has them for 80.00 per pair , just wondering since I never heard anything good or bad about them ..

Back