• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Instrument Cluster Removal, Help

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, i have a 97 jeep cherokee, 4.0L linked to an AX15, and i cannot remove the dash to get to the instrument cluster:doh: . I want to install a sunpro tach in this jeep but i dont want to butcher the wiring under the hood. Can someone explain to me in detailed steps how to remove the dash and access the wiring behind the instrument cluster, and which wire I should hook the sending wire to,

Thanks in advance

P.S.- and i already found the write up on the 91-96 dash removal, but that doesnt help me due to the dashes being different.

If I remember correctly you have to remove the knee plate (below the steering wheel), the center bezel (the piece that covers your a/c, radio and auxillary switches etc)the the instrument panel cover comes off. You may have to remove the steering column cover, just behind the steering wheel to get the instrument cluster out.
Mitch

can't remember exactly how i did this when I swapped gauge clusters but it is pretty easy to do. I just started by taking by removing the center radio trim, undid the screws around other trim pieces, popped off the top of the dashboard and such. Just gotta get in there and do it. All in all took me about an hour to put back together.

DO NOT screw with the internal wiring harness, thats fed from the computer or ECU so it's not a signal like you are thinking. If you really need to add a tach to the existing one grab a signal from the distributor. About the only thing you might want would be for the tachs lights so they come on with the light switch. You can do that from underneath, remove the knee plate, it's two layers, plastic that you see but steel behind it. Remove the 3 screws under the edge of the dash then pull the cover straight out, it's held in with two plastic/metal spring pins. Once thats out you will see the steel underneath, two bolt up top then it comes out of two tabs on the bottom.
Light Switch is removed by reaching around behind, pushing a buttom and pulling the light hand straight out, the buttom relseases it. Then take the nut off and the switch itself will come out from the back. From there you can find the hot wire for the parking/dash lights and tap into it.
I have a sun tach and was going to use it in my 98 but after wiring it in, not finding a place I really liked it I just replaced my idiot light dash cluster with a gauge cluster, that was easy..straight bolt out and bolt new one in.

so i cannot use the wire out of the harness that sends the signal to the oem tach? I have idiot lights and i just wanted to splice into the unused wire in the harness so i didnt have to do it under the hood where water and the elements can get to the splice. If i cannot do this, then where do i hook up this wire on the coil, there are no terminals on the coil, just wires.

Thanks again

If you have an idiot light cluster just put a gauge cluster in, it's a straight swap.
You don't have to change any senders, the only thing you may have to change is if you have a full time 4wd transfer case and the cluster comes from a part time you may have to move the bulb or the reverse of that and the 'washer fluid' light and the 'security light' may be reversed but thats it.
I forget where I grabbed it, I made a couple of attempts using the factory service manual as a guide, finally found one that worked but was not happy with the choices of mounting locations, almost put on the top the dash till out of the blue one of our members offered me a cluster out of a TJ.

The problem is that the instrument panel is a small computer that basically networks to the ECM to operate unlike the older ones that have actual signal wires and such.

I'll second the swap the whole cluster out suggestion. I believe that the mileage is stored in the ECM so your odo will read correct after the swap, but I'm not 100%.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF said:
The problem is that the instrument panel is a small computer that basically networks to the ECM to operate unlike the older ones that have actual signal wires and such.

I'll second the swap the whole cluster out suggestion. I believe that the mileage is stored in the ECM so your odo will read correct after the swap, but I'm not 100%.

Later,
Joe

No, the milage is stored both places, ecm and the gauge panel. When you put the new panel in it will display the mileage it has stored. I just made a note in my owner manual about the 60,000mi difference.. besides, I doubt I'll ever sell it anyway...

burkemotorcross said:
so i cannot use the wire out of the harness that sends the signal to the oem tach? I have idiot lights and i just wanted to splice into the unused wire in the harness so i didnt have to do it under the hood where water and the elements can get to the splice. If i cannot do this, then where do i hook up this wire on the coil, there are no terminals on the coil, just wires.

Thanks again

Any Help?

P.S. Thanks for the info on the instrument cluster swap, but i want to install the tach for now, not swap the whole cluster

Thanks

I installed a sunpro tach in my '96 awhile ago. I ran one of the wires to the fuse block, one to ground. I spliced one into a wire going to another one of my guage lights so it would light up and dim with the rest of them. The other one is supposed to be spiced into one of the two wires going to the ignition coil. Im pretty sure its the negative one, i can't quite remember. I don't think you should have any problems with splicing it in under your hood as long as you cover it up well. If you don't have the instructions sunpro has most of the manuals on their site. http://www.sunpro.com/user_manuals.php

My 99 service manual says that the grey wire is the ground.

Disclaimer: This wire goes from the coil to the ECM. I take no responsibility if you fry your ECM splicing into said grey wire.

Later,
Joe

i hate to bring this post back from the dead, but i am finally getting around to putting that tach in the jeep.

Which wire is negative on the coil for the 97+ Jeeps and what would be the best way to splice the wire into the coil wire?

Can i use this style of connector?

quick_splice.jpg

The connector is called a ScotchLoc.....
Even though they are designed as a quick tap connector....
DO NOT USE THIS connector....; they are prone to cause electrical problems....
You are best off to make two slices in the insulation, remove a 1/4" piece of insulation, splice the end of the new wire with the bare section of existing wire, solder the connection and insulate....

Back