• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a budget boost...

Zice

NAXJA Forum User
alright currently Im running 31's with a 3in pro comp lift and a friend of mine has a extra set of 33's that he doesnt want and will give them to me... so I just ordered a RC BB off ebay (yea I know) its shackles and spacers but Im just wondering how hard it would be to install this thing? My dad threw on my pro comp lift while I was at work and suprised me when I got home... (i paid for it and all) but I havent really messed with the suspension yet... so my question to you is are there any walkthroughs or is it easy enough that I dont have to worry about it... any advice?

thanks

A budget boost is only a budget boost when used as a budget boost. Adding a budget boost to an existing lift makes it a very expensive boost. At 5" lift, you will need longer brakelines, longer lower and upper control arms, an adjustable trackbar, longer shocks, SYE/CV driveshaft, etc. If you don't have those things, you will be hating life driving around in that thing, especially with a ProCrap lift as part of the equation, and you ABSOLUTELY have to have longer brakelines. Having the right parts will also make the install much easier. I know that doesn't answer your question, but maybe it will help you get the right parts first so you don't have to tear the jeep apart twice to put in the right parts after you have your kidney transplant.

shit I forgot about all this stuff... I got all excited about 33's and forgot the monday details

so where can I get brakeline?
are the control arms and track bar a must (I have pro comp lowers)
I can deal with the shocks
and can I work a t-case drop inplace of the sye or is a sye needed?

thanks

You could make the 33s fit on 3" lift:
doorlessdrivers.jpg

(I have under 3" of lift & 33s)
TJflaresrear.jpg

I would love to take the sawzal to the 'ol XJ but I cant afford other flares not even 4 rear TJs like i want to do because by law Im gonna need flares... and Im pretty sure that this will workout for me...

SO I was thinking at work today... its gonna be hard when the BB gets here not to run my jeep on 33's right away and its gonna be tuff to say "no i cant put those nice bigger tires on right now because I gotta wait for some part..."

SO how bad would it be to throw the extra 2in on there and then the tires and run it if I stay on the pavement? and some dirt roads ofcourse... so not much flexin...

what do I ABSOLUTLY need? like something that makes or breaks my jeep?

Brakelines are a must have at 5". Fortunately, they are fairly cheap. Just go to your local autoparts store, like NAPA or O'Reillys, and ask for 1994 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 4.0L non ABS front and rear brakelines (two front and one rear). The fronts run about $18 and the rears about $15. They are a direct swap. Also, relocate your front brake hardlines while you are at it, so the hardline is straight and runs parallel to the shock. Chances are, your shocks that came with your 3" kit are dang near the same length as stock, since most companies believe shocks for 0" lift will work up to 3" of lift, which is total crap. The stock shocks are barely long enough for even stock height, but DC didn't consider people would be flexing the heck out of their XJ's. So, I recommend longer shocks if you want to keep any kind of ride quality. Your Caster is severly going to be off due to the lengths of your control arms. Your PC lowers should be fine if the adjustment boot is shimmed out, and you may barely squeek by for a little while with the stock uppers, but I would be ready for death wobble at any moment. At 5", your stock trackbar joint will be in pretty sorry shape at that angle, plus, your axle will be shifted to the drivers side quite a bit, say 2" which will cause other nightmares, like alignment and handling, premature bushing and tire wear, etc.

At a bare minimum, please atleast get the longer brakelines, for your safety and others. Life isn't that cheap. The rest of it, well, life will suck everytime you drive that thing, whether on the street or on the trail, but the ride quality will be incentive to hurry up and get the rest of it.

GottaBeJeep said:
At a bare minimum, please atleast get the longer brakelines, for your safety and others. Life isn't that cheap. The rest of it, well, life will suck everytime you drive that thing, whether on the street or on the trail, but the ride quality will be incentive to hurry up and get the rest of it.

Yeah, I'd add an adjustable trackbar to that order too. You can get the brake lines off a YJ at a junkyard for about $30 and PORC has a budget adjustable tracbar for like $100. At least that will mainting your breaking and steering. You can probably get away with a t-case drop for a bit...and you can manage that for about $5 by picking up some washers and using them to space down the t-case. Other than that, just plan on really getting personal with your suspension cuz yer gonna leave a lot of blood and sweat ripping the front suspension apart everytime a new part shows at the front door =)

damn you guys are pissing in my river...

I really dont want to get into a dirty situation... at all... my XJ isnt going to last alot longer (many things like swamping the engine contribute to this) so I dont want to pour a bunch of money into it... because I already have alot more than I will ever get out of it tied up in it...

so yea... what now? Im considering sending back the BB and sticking with my current setup or just holding onto it incase I change my mind down the road...

dont you hate when you get this sweet idea in your head... but then you realize you cant do it? BOOO haha

if all a bb is a coil spacer in the front, and a shackle in the rear, i also have that on my cherokee with a 3" lift. total lift ended being about 4.5". I have a 3" pro-comp w adjustable track bar, and aal in the rear. I have a 1 1/2" Daystar spacer in the front, and a 1 3/4" warrior shackle in the rear. I did have to cut fender, and put extended bumpstops on, but imho the thing flexes just fine, i also have an adjustable track bar.

You can do it pretty cheap, as earlier post said. Brake lines: YJ lines and/or Rusty's brake line extension kit(10$) , make your own trans. case drop(search it and find lots of ways), lca's you have should work with the extra lift, adj. trac bar is the better way to go but you could get a relocation bracket for the trac bar you have. I guess the key word in "budget boost" is budget. Search and do it all yourself is my advice.

HPIM0185.jpg

Mines got:

3" Skyjacker( with lower arms and stock uppers)...2" Rocky Road BB(Shackles/ 1" Blocks for rear)
Re-drilled trac bar
BPE's for the shocks( you will be fine as long as you had new shocks for youre 3" lift)
1" Skyjacker drop t-case
drop pitman arm
Extended brake lines ( hard lines bent in front and longer line in rear) but I also have some longer SS ones that I haven't had time to put on yet.

So far mine has been fine and rides just like it did when I only had the 3" on. I know a few guys that have lifted their jeep like this and it will be fine as long as you don't have a 97+ because then you will need a SYE/CV shaft. I also have the M.O.R.E steering brace to keep the tires from breaking the steering box off of the "frame".

With minor trimming on my jeep I easily fit 34" LTB's.

xtremejeeper- you have the same pro comp lift as I do? mine is the AAL aswell, and I got the 1.5/2'' shackles and 2'' spacer... what do you recomend I do... did you get new shocks? becuase at the moment that seems to be the one thing that puts me over the edge... I want to follow through with this but i dont want to open a can of worms if its gonna be that way...

thanks guys I keep changing my mind on weather to go through or not but the more I think about it the more I want to do it...

Back