• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

planning ahead advise.. 31s and 3.5 rustys?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
ok still searching for an xj going to look at another today..
my intent is to get a set of moabs(with the MTR's) and install them but i know i need lift.
so in comes your guys advise. i know i can do it with 2-3 budget lift. but im thinking i want to go with a rusts 3" lift
What is the actual lift of rustys? is it 3" or more?
recommend the AAL or new spring pack? 245.00 vs 418.00
at what point should i regear? 31'2 32'2 33's? (4.0 with auto)
at 3" do i have to worry about vibes?
looking for a silver XJ so since they only made them in 2000 and 2001 then it will be a LP 30 in front..
it will be a DD and run 60 miles a day so nothing real extreme and wheeling 1-2 times a month since im a newb to the Jeep thing and recommendations.
are you all saying to yourselves just get the 4.5 kit and run the 31's then upgrade to 32"'s????
advice appreciated..

This is the look im going for below. seems about right for a DD.

Last edited:
1. Actual lift can vary, but prepare for at least 3" of lift.
2. Always get a new spring pack, AALs take all the abuse and tend to sag. Do it once and do it right.
3. What point to regear is up to you, whether or not you can live without stock power. I run 31s and it is definitely drivable, but the stock power is missed. I'd say start regearing around 32-33s.
4. Depending on what rear end youll have (8.25, or D35) you may have to at least get a t-case drop and shim the rear end up a tad.
5. 2000-2001 is LP 30 in front
6. If you can swing the money, get the RE 4.5" kit. Comes with everything youll need and you wont have to buy new stuff if you buy the 3" and then decide to lift it again later on.

2190199_18_full.jpg

this looks about right for a DD i figured
ya i meant Low Pinion 30
if i go with the 4.5 then im sure ill be having issues with vibes..= more money...(SYE,New shaft)

Last edited:
Back