• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Registering a chopped XJ

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
I've never had to actually go register a vehicle before or have any of those preceedings as i bought my jeep in-family. Am i going to run into any problems trying to register a cherokee with the top back cut off, and possibly with no roof? (cage present)

The emmissions on it should be good to go as all the other basics, i just dont know if having the body modification will make life difficult getting it on the road legally.

I am sure things are more strict in CT but in OK it would not be a problem. Hell you don't even have to have the vehicle present to purchase/renew registration papers. A friend of mine has a fully chopped XJ(no roof, but has a cage) and has not had any problems with anything yet.

BlueCuda said:
I am sure things are more strict in CT but in OK it would not be a problem. Hell you don't even have to have the vehicle present to purchase/renew registration papers. A friend of mine has a fully chopped XJ(no roof, but has a cage) and has not had any problems with anything yet.

VA is the same as far as registering a vehicle, they don't look at it. However passing state inspection might be hard (may not apply in CT though???).

HeavyMetal said:
I've never had to actually go register a vehicle before or have any of those preceedings as i bought my jeep in-family. Am i going to run into any problems trying to register a cherokee with the top back cut off, and possibly with no roof? (cage present)

The emmissions on it should be good to go as all the other basics, i just dont know if having the body modification will make life difficult getting it on the road legally.

if you are registering a vehicle that you bought in state, they will never have to see the vehicle most likely,only the title and other paper work. As far as inspection it would be best to ask a local place, but wranglers have no top and a roll bar i dont see the difference.

I know in Jersey you have to register the vehicle and hove plates even if you're not gonna drive it on the road

krelja said:
I know in Jersey you have to register the vehicle and hove plates even if you're not gonna drive it on the road

huh?

No you don't. In fact the DMV yelled at me for keeping my plates during the time mine was off the road.

vetteboy said:
huh?

No you don't. In fact the DMV yelled at me for keeping my plates during the time mine was off the road.

local police told me either put the parts cars in the backyard or register them and put plates on them. it was in my driveway with no plates and no insurance.

You're technically not allowed to have plates on a vehicle that isn't insured. You can't even get a registration without insurance. That sounds more like a township ordinance thing than an actual state law.

rag said:
local police told me either put the parts cars in the backyard or register them and put plates on them. it was in my driveway with no plates and no insurance.

It sounds like someone in the neighborhood complained about his XJ having no plates and looking bad in the neighborhood. Probably said they were parked on the street etc. so the police came and hassled him. The police don't want to keep catching shit from the people that complained so they told him to get them registered.

basically if the police are asshats they will make shit up and hassle you any way a friend had the get their driveway enlarged cause neighbers complained that they had it parked off the driveway and on a trailer. Cops came over busted chops so they did whatever they could to keep it there. The neighbers are still complaining but they have done everything they were supposed to and no more popo problems

zachxj01 said:
ya im in ct its not like u have to show them your car to register it as long as u have the vin and proof of ins your good

X2... you need to show emissions test. Mine didn't even pass, but they let me register it... DMV didn't give a sh.it that it didn't pass.

rag said:
Most towns have rules about abandoned/inoperable vehicles.
which is this case.
it is abandoned inoperable if it has a flat tire, doesnt have plates, and other reasons. so if it falls into this category you have 2 choices get plates or put it in the garage.
this is a town ordinance, that hes enforcing to keep the neighborhood up.
otherwise the burned out car on the corner couldnt be towed if it was sitting in the guys front yard. i had this happen by my house neighbor had 3 vehicles tagged for tow. but i had a dodge on the street with current plates no insurance and no pickup body on it no rear lights whatsoever.for months and never a tow tag. it was just a cab a chassis basically, but it had current plates.

Typically, if a vehicle is parked or driven on the road, plates and insurance are required.

That means a current registration, not a PNO (Planned Non-Operation.)

If the vehicle is on private property and off of public roadways, then plates and insurance are not required. However, it would be wise to pay the PNO every year to save trouble when you re-register (when you're done with the thing - you won't get clobbered with non-registration or late fees that way...) and since Comprehensive coverage is relatively cheap (~$20/year, I think, as a "rider" on your insurance policy for the vehicles you do drive) might as well keep that up as well.

Note that most states will not allow a vehicle without current registration to even have a single wheel on the roadway - which means towing with a flatbed truck or trailer, or (technically speaking) you could have a hooker with dollies under the rear wheels (as long as the vehicle's wheels proper aren't on the pavement, you have an escape you may be able to use.) If you want to flat tow somewhere, you may have to get a "one-trip" pass from DMV - they get their pound of flesh either way (I never have figured out what we get back for the money we pay DMV. Don't even get me started on insurance - you're betting against yourself, and you only win by losing. Something's wrong with that game...)

Am a retired donut eating porker. Every state has different laws and we should probably concentrate on CT laws in this scenrio. :D

I looked at this thread because KY has some liberal laws concerning chopped vehicles. Chopped or clipped here means combining two different vehicles and luckily KY will allow you to title them. The title will state salvage or a similar term. A lot of states will not allow a salvage title.

Dayem, now I am "off topic":D Sorry:D Exiting stage right!

Back