• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Final straw.. fix or part out! please help

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
Well my cherokee is still not running . Story goes i hydrolocked/sunk everthing at paragon. It ran but stalled occasionaly . changed some sensors (tps. oil pressure sensor.) ran fine for a few days then finally no power at all. CHanged spark plug rail got 2 days out of it and then same thing. Starts fine but any gas stalls right out. After a new engine, computer the problem is back. any gas its shutting off cylinders . ALSO turing the key position to start nothing.. but leaving it go sometimes catches the engine and starts.? I Leave for Co in 3 weeks ! We are putting a new ignition switch to see if that does anything. any ideas would be greatly apreciated we are at a total loss !

thanks so much in advance

keith

What year? (nebbermind...I see it now...'01)....

When I sunk my 94 YJ, the Throttle position sensor went. And the symptoms were similar to yours only the dead spot on mine was closer to the 2000 RPM range. The only other thing I can think of is the cam sensor in the distributor. Maybe still some water in there? The computer relies on signals from the Cam Position sensor and Crank position sensor for timing.

Also, what Tranny do you have...auto or manual? If auto, this could be your problem too. Torque converter full of water? It won't create pressure, only steam...and that ain't good.

Tranny aside, when you swamp it, any number of sensors can go. Water and electrical stuff don't go well together.

Are you able to pull trouble codes from the computer using the key on-off-on-off-on trick? I don't think that you can do that on an '01. Get someone to pull the trouble codes from it and go from there. Without those, you're shooting blindly from the hip.

If you decide to part it out, or sell it outright. Let me know. I'll be moving to Philly about the same time you are moving to CO. And I have family that I visit often that live in Wayne County.

[email protected]

Last edited:
thanks for that not sure if it was checked (mechanic still has it) the codes it was getting was spark plug rail/ ignition/ that i know of.

sorry its a 2001

Last edited:
when you turn the key to start nothing. then when sometimes when you leave it go it fires right up. will idle all day long with no problems . giving it gas it shuts 2 cylinders off

Silverstreak01 said:
i dont have a distributor i have a spark plug rail.. dont think the wires could get crossed.. thanks though

Gotcha, didn't see the year model in the first post. It still seems to me that something is out of time if it will not take throttle.

Sense it was under water, i would unplug every connector you can get you hands on and blow the water out of every one until you find the probem..........Start with the o2 sensor!

Flash.

going to pick it up. it has been narrowed down to the wires between the box and spark plug rail. the ignition switch solved the ignition problem. im going to pull the wires out to make sure they are alll ok...stay tuned

Back