• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RCD44 axles.... ujoints

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
THe guys running the RCD44 what after market axels are you running what ujoints and what type of warnty is there? I saw warn, superior, and alloy all have stronger shafts. Who is the best bang for the buck and do they have any sort of warnty? What about joints? CTM?

search...

pick up the phone and get quotes...

come on man...

alloy usa is cheaper,
4340 chineese steel i hear is why.
stronger than stock? heck yeah- even if its from china, its still 4340 chromo

XJ_ranger said:
search...

pick up the phone and get quotes...

come on man...
How am I suppose to search for personal experience. I'm asking what people are running and weather they are happy or not. FWIW I did search and even goggled. So don't get on the search nob band wagon its not flattering and very lame. Do you even have a D44 front? If not don't tie up this thread. If you do then either offer your opinion or shut up.

Ghost said:
How am I suppose to search for personal experience. I'm asking what people are running and weather they are happy or not. FWIW I did search and even goggled. So don't get on the search nob band wagon its not flattering and very lame. Do you even have a D44 front? If not don't tie up this thread. If you do then either offer your opinion or shut up.

Search, nob.

Opie has Yukons in his D44 front, but he wishes he had Al Loyusa axles and CTM joints.

Phil said:
Search, nob.

Opie has Yukons in his D44 front, but he wishes he had Al Loyusa axles and CTM joints.
Don't know who opie is. Thanks for the info. Maybe Ill search for opie and D44 shafts ans see what pops up. Like I said I did search. Hasta

By the way did it again with Opie as poster guess what... "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

IntrepidXJ said:
Opie = XJ_Ranger
I should have know the first asshat to post up "search" had one of hte pieces of info I needed. This is why we dont have the members stay and new ones join IMHO!

the best bang for the buck IMO is the axle shafts that let you have a weekend that you dont have to take your front end apart...

here is some good reading on ally dana 44 shafts and u-joints and their warrantes that I found just a few seconds ago...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446466

as far as nothing to search for...
id search by usernames of people running d44's in their front (yes, i do have one):
Captain Ron
Jes
CRASH
Cracker (used to)
Dave Taylor
SeanR
Paul S
Goatman
FarmerMatt (used to in the CAT, still in the JD)
LessLimited

to name a few...

I told you to search, 'cuse the info is out there...

as Phil said - I run Yukon shafts with Spicer joints, and while i havent had a failure, and they were only 500 shipped, I wish i was running Alloy USA and Longfield joints, because I think they are stronger and their waranty is better, and they gave me a hat. :D

I know that i've posted about my yukons on here before...

Also - the difference in shafts between the d30 and d44 is very little other than the 30 splines at the inner - so a company that is highly regarded for d30 shafts, is generally also looked highly uppon for d44 shafts (incase you want to search for opinions of shaft makers)

I think the best thing for you to do would be to pick up the phone and call your favorite vendor, and ask them what they recomend, and what they have in stock, and what they charge, and what their warantee is... and then buy from them - and support a vendor that has been good to you in the past...

so the ears on a 44 and 30 shaft are similar in strength?

I have a front high pinion Dana 44 under my XJ narrowed to Waggy width. I ran stock shafts for a few rides and broke a stub which was pretty screwed up to start with and had an unknown history but one filled with abuse from the looks of it. Also broke a long side inner on another trip, hard on the throttle tire came off the ground and landed in a crack the exact size of the 33 and stopped it dead with a loud pop.

I tried to order a set of Superior EVO series shafts but they were on back order or some crap and would not be available for 9 or 10 months. I got a sweet deal on a set of USA Alloy inners and Yukon super joints from Andy at Carolina Rock Shop. I currently have Dutchman 4340 stubs. I have had these shafts for a little over a year now and have yet to have a problem with the front end even with a 4.6L stroker, 5 speed, and 35s. Give Andy a call and see what he can do. Always try and support the local shop :)

AARON

Ramsey said:
so the ears on a 44 and 30 shaft are similar in strength?

they're exactly the same... Same u-joint goes in the hole...

well no spit. Just because the ID is the same doesnt mean the OD has to be.

Opie ty for the response, if you would have done that to start with all the bs in here would be gone. TY for the pirate thread that was spot on what I needed. Looks like I will be looking for a set of Alloy's and Longfields. I would have never found the thread on Pirate bc I don't pay to search. I search a lot but lately there is so much bs in here that it is next to impossiable to find the tech. And just FYI there are some here that want to remove search from the general population.

Stubs and short side inner = Yukon
Long side inner = Warn (Yukons were out of stock)
U-joints = Old style Longfields (before the Spicer lawsuit threat)
Spares = Yukon inners, Spicer stub and u-joints

Alloy wasn't around, or at best was just starting when I was building my front - otherwise I would have gone with their stuff.

The encouragement to search by Opie may have come across wrong, but he meant well. D44 fronts are becoming very common in the front of XJ's so there is alot of info out there now.

Rev Den said:
I run a D44 front also.

Call Currie....be done.

Rev
Did not realise you were runing one too. So is it a Currie bolt in unit? Or one you built? What shafts?

Back