• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler rear

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a "96 XJ, without ABS. Specing it out I have the chry 8.25 rear axle, but I get conflicting reports as to whether its 27 or 29 spline. For example, in the link below its says 27, but in the FAQ section XJ-ranger says 29. In the quadratec catalogue I get every few months there are contradictory specs WITHIN the magazine, if I'm reading it right. Makes a difference as I understand the 29 is much better. Anyone know for sure, or how I could find out fairly easily?

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html

I've heard that you can get a build sheet from DC.

But the only way to know for sure on a 96 is to pull the cover and count.

I'm sorry to say but I'm pretty sure your rolling on a 27 spline. Here is a good site to look up stock specs of any cherokee.
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html

But don't worry because you can go to a junk yard and pull the 29 spline chrys 8.25 out of a 97 - 01 cherokee and swap axels. It should not cost too much and you can sell the 27 spline axel to make some of the money back.

A 1996 should have a 29 spline. That was the year for the change over. This is stated in the Factory Parts manual for that year. Info below.

GEAR and PINION PACKAGE, Also Includes Items #20 &30
4762774 (1994-95 w/27 Tooth Spline)
4883087 (1996 w/29 Tooth Spline)

SHAFT, Drive
53008134 (1994-95 w/27 Tooth Spline)
52098902 (1996 w/29 Tooth Spline)

CASE, Differential w/o Anti-Spin
4384220 (1994-95 w/27 Tooth Spline)
52098776 (1996 w/29 Tooth Spline)

CASE, Differential w/Anti-Spin
52068451 (1994-95 w/27 Tooth Spline)
52098778 (1996 w/29 Tooth Spline)

Hope this helps

Alex

96 was the crossover year. The majority of 96 XJs had the 27-spline. Some with later build dates had the 29-spline.

This same subject comes up every week. :)

OK lets say I find I have just the 27. Beside the axle itself and the side gears, what else do I need to swap out to get to a 29? Do I need new diff case, new planetary gear?

I also have a '96 XJ. Mine was built in July. The build date is on the driver door sticker. Mine has a 29 spline (yes, I pulled the axle and counted them the last time I did rear brakes). There is another issue. I have found that my XJ also has some '97 model year parts. Both the temp sensor and CPS sensor harnesses had connectors different from the '96. When I need electrical parts, I usually get them from the dealer and always have my VIN number. It's not that I want to, but the parts that I have bought at NAPA and other places won't plug into my harness. Just an FYI.

Call your local jeep dealer.( I know, I hate to do that too,...) Ask the parts guy. He can(if he is competent) tell you where to look on the axle for a build date and Mfg #.

Get those numbers, and he can tell you what is inside.

Last edited:
tbburg said:
Call your local jeep dealer.( I know, I hate to do that too,...) Ask the parts guy. He can(if he is competent) tell you where to look on the axle for a build date and Mfg #.

Get those numbers, and he can tell you what is inside.

Most of the 8.25 axle housings will have the factory sticker wrapped around the axle tube on the passenger side next to the backing plate.

Back