• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strong Gas Smell-Fixed

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to post about my experience.

A number of months ago, I bought a brand new locking gas cap from teamcherokee.com. All was well, and I thought it would slow people down from stealing my expensive gas.

For a while, I was getting a really strong raw fuel smell and I could not figure out what it was from. I kept expecting to see a leaky injector, but never did. After reading a bunch of posts, I decided to swap my old gas cap back in.

Problem solved! The new cap was not sealing properly. So, if you are smelling gas, try another cap. It is a cheap and easy fix.

I'm assuming your XJ is a '89 Model, perhaps the evaporative emissions checks weren't used then.

But most XJ's, if the gas cap doesn't seal properly, the evaporative emissions system won't be able to hold a vacuum, which the Engine Controller will notice and light a "Check Engine" Light.

Just another symptom to clue people in, I think there was a thread on this recently.

I have had experience with this also. I put on a locking one from a local auto parts store. Threaded on just fine, locked down, clicked, everthing. Turns out it was a venting type or some such nonsense and it was just puking the fumes out. Mine is a 1990 so same deal as yours. But yes, gas caps can affect things more than people would think.

Rick Anderson said:
I'm assuming your XJ is a '89 Model, perhaps the evaporative emissions checks weren't used then.

But most XJ's, if the gas cap doesn't seal properly, the evaporative emissions system won't be able to hold a vacuum, which the Engine Controller will notice and light a "Check Engine" Light.

Just another symptom to clue people in, I think there was a thread on this recently.

Yep, I have a '89 4.0/AW4 NP242. This was getting so bad I thought it wouldn't be safe to be in the Jeep for very long. Not to mention the friggin' fire hazard. I just wanted to put this out there so someone else may benefit. Eventhough I had a new cap, it wasn't worth a damn.

Its apparently not just a Jeep issue. After finding out that my girlfriend had been driving around in her Taurus without a gascap for several weeks I told her that it was really important to get one and to just pick one up from the local NAPA. Upon hearing this, her son who is an aspiring Ford dealership mechanic, told her not to do that. That she should get gascap at the dealership because they have more problems with people coming in for repairs after installing an aftermarket cap.

Stant sells both vented and un-vented locking gas caps......I bought an un-vented locking gas cap and haven't had a problem....

Stant is a great company. Maybe the place you bought your cap from was fine, but you got a vented cap?

Blaine B. said:
Stant sells both vented and un-vented locking gas caps......I bought an un-vented locking gas cap and haven't had a problem....

Stant is a great company. Maybe the place you bought your cap from was fine, but you got a vented cap?

I think that may be the case. I tossed it in the trash after my problem was solved. I want to say that I am not bagging on teamcherokee.com. I have used them a few times and they are great. Just don't buy this gas cap from them.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Fuel_System/index.html

The one that says Gas Cap Locking XJ is the one I got. It doesn't have an option for vented or non-vented.

I am going to hit up the dealer for a locking cap. Gas is getting pretty damn expensive again.

Don't screw yourself, if they really want your gas they will just punch a hole in the tank. Reason I don't lock my TJ, I'd rather loose a $100 radio then a $200 soft top door skin...

Getting a hole punched is from experience and having to spend $400 on a new tank on my S10...

RichP said:
Don't screw yourself, if they really want your gas they will just punch a hole in the tank. Reason I don't lock my TJ, I'd rather loose a $100 radio then a $200 soft top door skin...

Getting a hole punched is from experience and having to spend $400 on a new tank on my S10...

That would really suck. The thing was a pain in the ass at the pump anyway. I may just leave the old one on there and forget about it.

RichP said:

makes you wonder why they went through all the trouble of draining your tank when someone elses tank is ten times easier to steal from.

makes me want a gastank skid

cherokee89 said:
I think that may be the case. I tossed it in the trash after my problem was solved. I want to say that I am not bagging on teamcherokee.com. I have used them a few times and they are great. Just don't buy this gas cap from them.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Fuel_System/index.html

The one that says Gas Cap Locking XJ is the one I got. It doesn't have an option for vented or non-vented.

I am going to hit up the dealer for a locking cap. Gas is getting pretty damn expensive again.

I actually take that back - for Stant anyway.

They sell the unvented style, and then a pre-vent style.....it doesn't vent when locked, but it vents when you unlock it before you start loosening up the cap.

Not sure about yours though...

Blaine B. said:

This may be my problem, I've been smelling gas for a while but there are no leaks, I was getting ready to blame a rusty tank. I have a Stant cap, not sure if it is vented or not but I will order a new unvented anyway.

Good thread!

rag said:
makes you wonder why they went through all the trouble of draining your tank when someone elses tank is ten times easier to steal from.

makes me want a gastank skid

Thats one of the things I like about my factory XJ skid, covers both the bottom and both side as well as the front. My TJ's on the other hand are only covered on the bottom not the sides. Will remedy that this summer maybe...

Back