• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Keyless Remote Question

keener

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new remote for my 98. Is there a way to program it myself, or do I have to take it to the $tealership to do it ? They charge 1/2 hr of shop time to do it.

All 1997 to 2001 keyless remotes can only be programmed by a scantool. Usually the Dealership is the only place that has one.

Call around to the different Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers and ask what they charge for programming keyless remotes, the Dodge dealer here wanted $52.50 but the Jeep dealer did it for free. It all depends on the service manager and how busy they are.

Later,
Joe

Rather than starting a new thread, I will post my question on this one.

I lost my keys last weekend for my 2000 XJ. I have another FOB (for a Dodge Ram) with the FCC ID # GQ43VT9T. From what I can tell this is the same exact FCC ID for my cherokee. Can I have this one programed for my XJ? Is that how these work, if you have the same FCC ID they will work on multiple makes (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) and models? Can someone verify that the FCC ID for a 2000 Cherokee is GQ43VT9T?

Thanks much!

No 100% definate information, but I believe it will work. The only difference should be that it has the Dodge logo on it instead of Jeep.

IIRC, my friend at the junkyard says that the truck ones will all interchange and the car ones will interchange, but the truck ones won't work on cars and vice-versa within the same year range.

My advice is to find a dealer who will program it for you for free (or for free if it doesn't work)

Later,
Joe

Back