• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why or why not a fuel cell?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched here and a few other places and have learned a bit about fuel cells, however, I have yet to learn why one would be used. In my case, I plan to put a GM 5.3L late model V8 in my Comanche project. I also plan to build a tube rear that kind of resembles a flare side pickup bed. I'll need a fuel tank of some sort and am leaning towards mounting a TJ tank in the front of my "bed" perhaps even sunk through the floor a bit. This would give me 19 gallons of fuel, a plastic non corroding tank, a stock in tank fuel pump and filter, and room behind the tank for a spare tire to lie flat on the bed floor. I'm thinking I could put a readily available storage box above the tank too. However, I see many folks that build tube buggys go to a fuel cell. I'm wondering why and if that is a direction I should also head or if the TJ tank will work just fine. Thoughts? Jeff

Jeff, it's generally lighter, and it's simpler to deal with.

I made the mistake of relocating the stock take on Junk Ver 1.3. While it worked, it was much simpler to mount a fuel cell when I did do it.

Jazz makes what you'll want in alot of different configurations. Most guys out here are running the 12 or 16 gallons cells.

If you buy Jazz, you'll be indirectly making me rich. We make all of their sheetmetal, and the restraint brackets and straps for their fuel cells. :D

--ron

Thanks for the opinion Ron. Anybody else have opinions and reasons to go with them? I'm concerned about keeping smog equipment operable with the late model Chevy engine and don't know if a fuel cell can accomodate that. Of course, I'm not sure a TJ tank and pump will jive with the Chevy system or not either. I've yet to find any good information other than a 2001 Chevy pump assembly has a vent, a feed, and a return line where I believe a TJ pump is the same as my 98 xj pump where it has a fuel pressure regulator built into the pump assembly so it only has a feed and vent line coming from it. If anybody has information about this, I'm all ears. Oh, the two pumps were comparable for pressure and volume. Jeff

Back