• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good rock lights?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys what are u guys usin for rocklights? Ive always seen the cheap roundlights that everyone uses but are they sufficient lighting? I saw some LED lights but they are really expensive and who knows how many the put under there jeep to make it look that cool. I think the lights were called roundeyes.

I’ll keep an eye on this post. There are some more benefits to rock lights. I use my Jeep mainly for hunting and I trailer it to and from the mountain. The rock lights would come in handy for tying the Jeep down on the trailer in the dark. So I’m interested in them also.

Get some from Walmart.. your going to smash them eventually.

Wounded XJ said:
X2 on the Wal-Mart ones.

Same here, a fog light is good because they have a wide pattern (vs. driving lights). And yes, they will get a lot of abuse and will have to be replaced anyway, so you may as well get cheap ones.
Oh...those little tractor work lights from Tractor Supply work good too, and the housings tend to be a little stronger.

I don't like LED's for rock lights. They don't broadcast the light enough.

I got some el cheapo halogen lights. They are about 1 X 3 inches and cost $5 a piece. I just got a bunch of them so when they fail or get smashed, I can easily replace them. Your best bet is the cheapest water tight lights you can find.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Same here, a fog light is good because they have a wide pattern (vs. driving lights). And yes, they will get a lot of abuse and will have to be replaced anyway, so you may as well get cheap ones.
Oh...those little tractor work lights from Tractor Supply work good too, and the housings tend to be a little stronger.

x3 on the walmart suggestion

anotehr goodie is the little Cone shaped ones in the auto-parts sto, packaged as trailer "back-up" lights think they're bout $2.00/each they make a decent little glow..

fog style lenses are 2nd only to a FLOOD lense those cast a broader band of light=better... :)

i went from cheap walmart halogen lights to LED pods. I like the LED pods much better. They may not be as bright, but they do work well. Plus, I haven;t had to replace them yet.....I was replacing the halogens after almost every trip....especially if there was water (hot lights and cold water = cracked housings)

IntrepidXJ said:
i went from cheap walmart halogen lights to LED pods. I like the LED pods much better. They may not be as bright, but they do work well. Plus, I haven;t had to replace them yet.....I was replacing the halogens after almost every trip....especially if there was water (hot lights and cold water = cracked housings)

Randy, what pods and where did you get them?

I bought some LED pods from ebay and they worked great, till I had to cut the wires to install my drop brackets. Don't get hot, so you can leave them on if you go through some water. don't take much power to run, so while you hop out of your jeep, you can leave them so you have some light. Installed 8 of them. Front and rear for every tire.

178b_1.JPG

I have white but here are some blue ones
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...tcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:
I like the rubber housing tractor lights. They run about $10 each and the bulbs are sealed so they stay dry and I've yet to burn one out. The rubber housings are pretty forgiving. We've got one per front wheelwell and one in the rear in front of the gas tank. I'm probably going to put more on later. You can buy a lot of other lights for the price of some of the LED kits out there.

I would like to put a few under the front bumper to light up the front area. The ones we have in the wheelwells cast shadows out to the sides but light up the wheel area pretty good. They are 35w each and sometimes you can find the 55w versions.

Here are the front ones...
KOTHPlanning03_31_07_040.jpg

And here they are on as it got closer to dark...
337.jpg

lapisxj said:
I would like to put a few under the front bumper to light up the front area. The ones we have in the wheelwells cast shadows out to the sides but light up the wheel area pretty good. They are 35w each and sometimes you can find the 55w versions.

Here are the front ones...
KOTHPlanning03_31_07_040.jpg

And here they are on as it got closer to dark...
337.jpg

where do you have your rears mounted?

Rock lights look good until you need them. Then there mostly out. Put on what ever you like for looks. Then get two flash lights and duct tape the flash light will be of more use in the long run.(IMO)

I only have one rear light right now. It is mounted in front of the gas tank on the crossmember that has the shocks bolted to it. It is more on the drivers side closer to the fuel filter. The tractor lights have always worked good for me and they put out a good bit of light. Of course you may have to rub some of the dirt off every now and then...

I use the small rectangular ones from walmart. About 4x6 or so. Make sure you seal them up really good with silicone because I've had mine leak a few times before and then they get eaten up on the inside. Since sealing them really really good they havent gotten water in them yet.

Back