• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99-01 Engine in a 97-98

motorman

NAXJA Forum User
Friend is having issues with his '97. He can find used, low mileage '99-01 engines, so the question is as follows.......

Do you know if an engine from the last generation cherokee ('99-01) will
fit a '97-98 generation cherokee? My cherokee probably needs a new
engine. I found several '00 and '01 engines in the local salvage yards
with relatively low miles, but '97-98 engines with low mileage are very
hard to find. This is a much cheaper way to go vs. buying a rebuilt
motor.

He was driving and got a vibration at low rpm. Checked electrics, injectors etc and found he had good compression is 5 cylinders, low in one. Did oil in cylinder test and got the temporary improvement in compression. Engine is fairly high miles so he is looking into a total replacement versus doing a ring job. Hence the engine swap question above.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am putting a 99 in my 98 right now. I am not sure if you can use you distributor with the newer blocks or not -you probably can. Just use your electronics from the existing engine and the block assembly and intake from the new one.

I did a swap from a bad 98 motor to a good 2000 motor and it went really well, made a few adjustments to vacum lines for newer intake style and installed a headewr on it while it was out! you will probably need to keep your injectors, oil pressure sending unit and distributor. Unless you want to swao the whole wiring harness and comp also.

Back