• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft

bubba

NAXJA Forum User
I was putting my rock sliders on this weekend and I noticed that I only have about 1" - 1.5" (I didn't have a tape measure under there) of compression left on my front drive shaft before it bottoms out. Is this enough? It is a 98 4 door, 5" of lift, 242 t-case, 33" tires. I have Dick Cepek lower control arms from the original 3.5" lift and 1.75 spacers on the front.

Or do I need to go out and get full drop on my front suspension to see if the DS is bottoming out.

the axle is location is controled by the control arms it Can't move forward or back enough to matter unless your rig really can flex like crazy and if you're into baja jumpin and bottom the suspesnion out fully the axle will go forward anyway, but only slightly..

at full drop other components like the mention control arms and steering linkage and Trac-bar will limit travel way before the 1 to 1-1/2" of drive-shaft slip is maxed out

Both my front and rear DS's are set up to allow (Minimum) 1 inch compression and 3 inch extension.

I agree with the other post, doubt you will collapse the front more than an inch.

Your driveshaft usually has about 1.5" inward and 1.5" extension = 3" total of travel. Some aftermarkter ones have 4 or more.
As long as it sits mid-stroke normally, you're fine. Keep it greased.

And for the other guy, your control arms keep your axle in place, keep your castor and pinion angle from changing.... but through out the range of motion the axle moves foward and back quite a bit.

Back