• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj dumping out tranny fluid

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj 4.0 5.5" 33's I was driving down the road and smoke just started dumping out the back. so I drove it home and parked it. the next day, I drove like 75 miles towing my quad with it and nothing happened!!!! I even took it into a shop to have them look for leaks they saw nothing. The next day, I made it like 5 mile and it did it again I had to get to work I went through like 7 quarts of tranny fluid before I got pulled over 'cause it was smoking so bad that I caused a traffic jam. The smoke is coming from the tranny fluid on the down pipe. It is so drenched that I can't see where it is comming from. I don't think it is a line becahse it didn't leak at all the day I worked i hard. It is shifting fine, and doesn't slip. Please help, I am making payments on this thing!!!

On my 98 I had tranny fluid leaking out of the output shaft seal on the transfer case. Flung everywhere from there, lots of smoke offrom the cat. Never caused problems with shifting, because it was not coming from the transmission. So it's something worth checking, do lots of cleaning up with rags that will help differentiate between the drips from the coated areas, and the actual leak.

Good luck.

The transfer case uses ATF as well. Not saying that that is where the problem is, but just something to keep in mind if you can't find a transmission leak.

Is your trans fluid too full? Mine did this if I drove 70mph or faster. The fluid would get hot and boil out the vent tube (Near the front of the trans) . I drained out some of the fluid to put it back at the full mark and it has been fine ever sense. Your 33's may cause your trans to run hot and spew fluid. just a thought.

It drains way too low. it went to where it would barely move as I pulled into a gas station. I have been driving with the 33's for tree months with no problems. it is deafinately coming from the front it is all over my front drive shaft, but the cat and everything in the back is dry. if it is getting hot, would that boil everything out to where it wouldn't drive?

I also had the two metal trans lines rub togather and create a leak that sprayed out like a power washer.....not good. Is it coming from the bellhousing it could be the front pump seal.

Are the pump seals hard to change, I asume that I will have to pull the tranny, that is not an isure, A mechanic said that the pump seal had to be done by a tranny shop. is it realy that hard?

Yes it is that hard. More than likely your clutch packs are starting to wear out and slip. That will cause a rapid rise in tranny temp and blow out ATF.

In most cases a used tranny is the way to go. You can normally score one from a donor for around $100 in these parts.

Back