• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline research

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
hey sorry to be a noob but im kinda new to this...i've searched through the forums but can't find quite what i'm looking for...im looking to get the RE 4.5" super flex lift and i've been trying to research what im gonna do with driveline vibes if i happen to get them...

i would start with a t-case drop to see if that would fix it first, but i was also looking at SYE/CV driveshaft combos from tom woods and everyone seems to complain they are expensive at almost $400, which i agree with haha...i also saw a bunch of people have gone with the RE hack-n-tap kit which is supposedly not as reliable but easier to install, which is like $80...but the thing i dont understand is even with the hack-n-tap dont u still have to buy a CV driveshaft? just looking at the RE ones they run $300, which comes out to be the same as just getting the regular tom woods kit...i probably wouldn't buy a new shaft but just trying to compare anyways

correct me if im wrong, which i probably am with the pricing but just looking for opinions and what you guys paid...thanks a bunch

EDIT: first off the only reason i was considering the hack-n-tap was because i knew i wouldn't be doing any real hardcore wheeling, so it would be a cheaper solution for me if it held up...

1. You will have vibes.

2. The t-case drop will not be enough.

3. Hack and tap sucks, spring for a good SYE. I scored mine on the pirate board for $179 shipped. You will need a CV shaft with either one.

4. Get an XJ front CV shaft and have your local driveshaft shop build it for you. Depending on the condition of the shaft you find it could be as low as $120 to lengthen it. I only paid $170 for a 36" shaft with a .120" tube.

5. Look a little harder next time. This information is already on this site.

I agree with RCXJ.....BUT hack n tap's don't necessarily suck. It depends on how hard you wheel, etc. I have had a HNT for about 4+ years now and I wheel moderate to difficult trails and dunes (no rock crawling though) and sometimes mud and mine is fine.

SYE/new DS is the way to go but you have to consider what you will be doing. I have about 6" with a tc drop and slight vibes under hard acelleration at about 30-35 mph. Been that way for 5 years. I just live with it. I don't wheel extreme rocks but I have seen my share of wheeling. I just got a SYE and I am getting a new shaft built once I get my full widths installed. Of course mine is on a 93 that has the 1/4" longer slip yoke. If you budget for it and try the TC drop you might be ok for daily driving but if you have bad vibes you will already have the $ for the SYE/DS. My plan was to use my AA SYE and get a front DS. Now I am planning to just get a new DS. Just my 2 cents.

There's nothing wrong with a H&T SYE if done prperly. They key is to drill the hole as close to perfectly centered on the shaft as possible . If the hole is offset or not straight you can create some nasty vibes. Been there, done that. I replaced my rear output shaft and drilled the new one on a press. No vibes at all now. You might find the folowing thread useful...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1377046&postcount=2

hey check out the PORC SYE i think its around 160 shipped same company rubicon uses i believe and then go with modified stock front driveshaft.. cheepest thing i have found so far..

Back