• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing compression......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I one this engine off ebay. Supose to have only 75K on it. Supose to have the transfer case with it too. I was thinking of trying to see how the compresion was on it b4 installing it. Any thoughts on how I might do that? I thought about throwing together a frame out of 2x2 tube and bolting the engine to it and it to the floor. But that seems like a lot of work jsut to turn it over to test each cylander. Any thoughts?

Got an engine stand -- or can you borrow/rent one? To run a compression check you don't want or need fuel, so you can either bolt up some kind of bell housing to mount thestarter, or crank it over with an impact wrench on the front end of the crank.

[edit]Well, that was dumb -- can't hardly mount a bellhousing since that's the bolt holes you use to mount the block on a stand. Plan B -- air gun on the front pulley bolt.[/edit]

Hmm being that it is a 2.5 and the starter bolts to the block that might work. What about it wanting to walk all over the place?

Back