• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn 3/4" D rings - how consistant are they?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Back in Nov. of '04 I bought two Warn 13047 3/4" D ring shackles.

I put one in the front off of the ARB, and one in the rear, hanging off my AJ's rear bumper. The holes in the D ring tabs on the rear bumper are slightly bigger than 3/4" of an inch. The D ring I put in the rear fit great.

Yesterday I was out in a rock crawl pit and had to be pulled from the rear. Only to find out some jackass stole my rear D ring. So I go to use the one on the front, and the pin wont fit through the bumper. I measure it, and it is slightly thicker than 3/4".

I had to wrap the strap around my bumper to get me free, which ended up bending the bumper a bit. Some jackass stole a $20 D ring and because of that I had to bend up my $500 bumper.

If I order another Warn 3/4" D ring, does anyone know if it is actually going to be 3/4 of an inch? Or is it going to be bigger? Very strange to me that two D rings of the same part #, and one fits while the other doesnt.

I just checked my Warn D-rings measure the same (or very close). They are off about 0.05" of each other according to my vernier...

About the stolen D-ring... that sucks man. However, thats the reason why mine stay inside my Jeep until I need 'em.

I use a wrench to tighten mine up every time and so far they've stayed right where I left them. I hope that guy joins two straps together with it and one breaks and send the stolen shackle into his sheetmetal. :gonnablow

Not very consistant.
Most 3/4" shackles have a 7/8" pin but there are some that have a 3/4" pin. Ive probably got seven or eight 3/4" shackles, I think three of them have 3/4" pins and the rest are 7/8". Ive got four that are chinese, half of them have 3/4" pins and half have 7/8" pins. Even the ones Ive got made for Warn arent all the same. I didnt realize they were different until I put my Detours winch mount on and found out that 7/8" pins just wont fit. Apparently they drill the holes 7/8" so a 3/4" pin is a nice fit.

I cant imagine that warn makes their own shackles. They are probably bought in bulk by the lowest bidder.

Next time, take out the receiver(if you have one) and put the loop of the strap in and catch it with the receiver pin.

Warn has outsourced lots of production offshore (aka read China), and in the past few years there has been a noticeable decline in qulaity assurance and consistancy. Try to find a Crosby retailer near you.

Back