• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuse!?

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
i blew another fuse...well for my rock lights i wired two light kits together and used the 12v fuse it came with on one switch and i have blown the fuse twice......i want to kno which volt fuse i could use without blowin' them all the time...i was thinkin 24v?!

Fuses are rated by current, not voltage.

Are the lights connected in series, or in parallel? And, what wattage are the bulbs?

Series connection

________LAMP____LAMP________

Parallel Connection

P P

It makes a significant different in the current in the circuit...

oh ok....there are connected in a series connection

resistance is additive in a series circuit.

55w bulbs draw approx 4.5 amps. Putting the two kits in series would double that. so 2 55w bulbs from one kit are drawing 9 amps, add in the second kit and you're at 18 amps. Using a 10 amp fuse from a single kit would be great protection if the total load was 9 amps, but will smoke check trying to feed the double load.

If you're blowing a 20 amp fuse, there is a shorted wire in the system some place.

so i should then get a 20 amp fuse?! thanks for info...very informative!

yes you should have a 20 amp fuse.
BUT you better have a
switch rates for 20 amps
wire rated for 20 amps
and wire it into the battery not some wire under the dash and not the fuse block.
once you start pulling power you dont want to be pulling it out of the fuse block along with everything else that runs through there..

Back