• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torx on top of tranny

fender

NAXJA Forum User
The engineer that came up with these should be drug in the street, hung by his toes until almost dead and then covered in honey and tied above a fire ant nest.

Trying to pull my busted engine out and these things are killing me. I got one out after dropping the tranny crossmember and pulling the motor mounts but the second one (passenger side) is a royal pain. Just when I thought I had it the socket slipped and twisted the bolt head. I am grinding the head off if I can get a dremel in there.

If I ever have to pull another engine with these the transmission is coming with it. Along the way I have removed just about everything I would have needed to anyway.

Sorry I just had to vent. I bet it seemed like a good idea on paper.....

Had both round off when trying to change my clutch. Get a couple of old sockets and weld them on the heads of the bolts, then pull the bolts out with an air ratchet and chuck the bolts. I should have just started out by doing this, as it was quick and easy once I got to that point (after much bad language).

Those screws take an E12 socket. You can get a set of "E" (external Torx) sockets from Lisle tools - and you can find Lisle tools at most Sears and well-stocked local parts houses.

The screws are threaded 3/8"-16, so take them to the hardware store and match the underhead length. You can also put in studs (3/8"-16 x 2") to simplify matters - that's what I did.

These methods work great... when the engine and tranny are out of the car. No way to get a vice grip in there while it is in the car.

Grinding the head complete off does tho.

I feel your pain. I managed to get the driver's sdie bolt out, but the passenger side one held me up for most of the day. Finally had to use a Dremel to decapitate the evil monster. Replaced them both with regular hex head bolts.

If I knew then what I know now...

I just came from inside the cab thru the shifter cover with a few extentions, when I did the clutch job. Not to bad. Hardest part was finding the tool. Finally ordered from Snap-on.

Rob

5-90 said:
Those screws take an E12 socket. You can get a set of "E" (external Torx) sockets from Lisle tools - and you can find Lisle tools at most Sears and well-stocked local parts houses.

The screws are threaded 3/8"-16, so take them to the hardware store and match the underhead length. You can also put in studs (3/8"-16 x 2") to simplify matters - that's what I did.
Great info there.
I just used a 12 point socket, u-joint and a vary long extention. That bolt was replaced with a Grade 8 when it came time to reinstall

Back