• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein shocks for tow rig?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
How are the Bilstein shocks? The yellow ones with blue boots?
Are they stiff? Are they good? Thinking about getting some for the front of my tow rig? Are they good for road driving on a full size pick up? If anyone has tried (and liked) a specific shock on their tow rig, (Z71 1500), I'm looking for a soft road ride.. let me know what ones.

I got a set on a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4. I like the change in ride. The truck only has 40K - 50K on it so the factory shocks weren't dead yet, but I got some new rubber and decided to compliment the tires with a set of shocks.

I don't find the shocks jarring. The truck has a slightly firmer ride, but overall is still soft in my opinion. A little less waddle going down the road and in corners.

I've heard good things about Bilstein 5100's on tow rigs. I put Rancho 9000's on mine because I haul a camper, so I turn them up with the camper and turn them back down for a better ride when unloaded. It was definite improvement for me.

Bilsteins are the current shock of choice on the Ford forums, there are a few complaints of a firm ride when empty, or not towing. Like Mr. Goat said, the Ranchos may be a better choice.

Rev

I like the rancho 9000's on my dad's dually. being able to adjust for the load makes it very comfortable. he use to have kyb's and they were good when empty and gave very little dampening when loaded

Back