• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back to Basics..

IronSmiles

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hunting for as good of a condition of a stock XJ as I can find to turn into my ultimate jeep project and have run into a give and take problem..

I at first wanted to get either a 2000 or 2001 because simply they are newer and I wanted to find a something with as little abuse and miles as possible. But I don't like the fact that it has the LP D30, and really don't want to do any axle swapping.

So I started looking for the same condition 1998 or 1999 one WITHOUT ABS so that I could get the HP30 front and 8.25 rear..

And there in lies the problem. I have looked my ass off and can't find one without ABS, so I'm sure it has that D35 peice of crap. The reason I want to get the HP30 front and 8.25 rear is because I want to keep those axles and beef them up with the WARN manual hub kit, warn shafts, 4:56 gears, ARB locker (front) yukon shafts, disc brakes, 4:56 gears and locker (rear) and just keep those. I'm only running 33"s and want it to be capable without having to go axle hunting.

What sounds good to YOU?

I'm in the same boat, except that I plan to go axle hunting... I would like a newer XJ so that it's not beat to hell though.

I'm planning on D44s with flat top knuckles up front, and a D44 or Ford 9" rear.

I'm pretty sure you can get an 8.25" rear in the model years you're looking at because they quit using the D35 rear in 1996. They started using the LP D30 in 2000 so anything from 1996-1999 should work for you...

Maybe go have a look at one and peek under to check what it's got for axles?

Last edited:
dlarrivee said:
I'm pretty sure you can get an 8.25" rear in the model years you're looking at because they quit using the D35 rear in 1996. They started using the LP D30 in 2000 so anything from 1996-1999 should work for you...
Wrong,D35's in XJ's to 2001!

Damn, damn DAMN! Well I've narrowed my search and only found a couple with that criteria.. I've been looking for a 99 with the 8.25 rear but the dealership I called that has it is over 100 miles away, I'd be willing to drive there and back easy for the price, but when I asked if he could confirm the 8.25 in the rear he asked me what the difference did it make.. I wasn't sure If I wanted to hit him through the phone or.. yeah, hit him through the phone.

Anyway.. once I find SAID set up.. I'm hoping to just make sure it hasn't been abused or rusted and then herculine the inside under the carpet and reinforce the frame all over, i wanna keep this thing for AWHILE!

BlueGerbil said:
Buy a 2001 and get a D30 HP and a Ford 8.8 w/ disc brakes.

Did you bother to read the the thread before you posted?

Just keep looking, there are plenty out there. More often than not, if it's a sport trim, it won't have ABS. I have owned a '91 Sport, '94 Country, and a '99 Sport; none of which have ever had ABS.

91 Jeep Project said:
Did you bother to read the the thread before you posted?

Just keep looking, there are plenty out there. More often than not, if it's a sport trim, it won't have ABS. I have owned a '91 Sport, '94 Country, and a '99 Sport; none of which have ever had ABS.

Exxxcellent.. Is the 8.25 really that bad? I don't think I would mind getting the axle switched in the front to the HPD30 from a slightly older cherokee if I were to get a newer vehicle.. but I guess the problem becomes this.. I'm in the navy and going to a training command here in a month and wont have time to do much of the work, but really want it done while I am gone, so I just dont want to have to pay out the nose for extensive axle swapping and fabrication =(

Nothing at all in my opinion. The 8.25 is a great axle. The only reason I ever swapped out mine was because I needed the deeper gearing, 4.88s. But Superior just released 4.88s for the 8.25. You can get Alloys, ARBs, Limited Slips, Detroits, etc. for this axle. And rumor has it that Superior is working on a 33 spline/ARB Super 8.25 kit. Not to mention the ease of swapping on disc brakes.

Back