• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#1 What Shocks? #2 DPG Radiator

andyszafran

NAXJA Forum User
Question #1
What shock length (compressed and extended) should I be running in the rear with a 4 1/2 in lift? Apparently mine were to short because there is a couple of sheared off bolts back there.

Question #2
I've heard that the DPG radiators are really good for keeping the ole' Jeep cool in the summer time, but I need more than one oppinion. What is your guys take?

Well, I can answer question #1.

No matter what, every XJ is different. Differences in bumpers, sag, type of lift, brand, etc all change with every XJ. The only way to get it correct is to go outside with your tape measure, and measure compressed and extended lengths yourself. Then contact a few manufactures that you'd be interested in and they'll be able to tell you what shock they have at the closest match.

I just called DPG, and he recomended me some OME longtravels for that sized lift on my MJ.
15 1/2" compressed
26 1/2" extended.

that's a lot of travel.

Man!! Quick on the Trigger
Thanks I'll go do that.
I have a 2000 with a 4.0 XJ if that makes any difference for Question #2 or even any more input on Question #1.

Trailmaster has a pretty good list of shocks for specific appliations that they have already figured out for the consumer. I purchased a set of tm's for my xj. Book said 99-01 xj 4-5" lift. Those are the ones i bought and they work great. I am assuming they do not compensate for added sprung weight like bumpers and winch and all the good stuff though.

there are a thousand threads on which shocks are better, IMO the ome are great and i got the long travels from dirk which fit perfect on my RE 3.5. Just make sure you bumpstop

I can speak to the CSF radiators from DPG. I bought one about 2 and a half years ago. It's all metal and 3 rows. Install was easy and everything hooked up just like it should have. My temps consistently run 15 or so degrees cooler than the stock rad. My only concern with the CSF is it appears to have sprung a leak on me near the passengers lower corner. Upper hose is good and so is the drain valve. I thought I was going to be screwed. I called Dirk and he was great. He said he wanted me to make damn sure it was a bad seam or something like that so I didn't have CSF send mine right back to me and be in limbo. I now have one vendor that is completely off my list no matter how good the product. Dirk will definitely get my business again because he is a professional and deserves it. If you're reading this Dirk...thank you.

A great rad and even better customer service. :thumbup:

-river

I bought the CFS from Dirk as well... going on about a year no problems... Quick ship, great product, Great seller....

Aaron

I bought a CSF back in 04 and it arrived in great shape in contrast to the GDI I received the summer before from radiators.com. It has been perfect since then.

Over the past 12-18 months I have seen a handful of posts about CSF radiators arriving damaged. DPG seems to have taken care of those radiators as they have surfaced. At least two had screwed up filler necks.

All in all I would still recommend CSF, unless you can find an older Modine somewhere.

Back