• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not starting.......

MJ88SB

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I need to figure this one .: I got a 4X4 88 mj 4.0 Peugot 5 sp .
I just this MJ about a month ago so I'm getting to know its issues.

I have two.

1.-
It hesitated once while driving, then it died . After 4 tries it started . Now it does not start . Already checked fuel rail for pressure and I got juice from coil to distributor BUT nothing to spark plugs.........

2.-
Per previous owner he replaced cluth and cylinder about 3 months ago .

Gave me receipts for that. you press the clutch and can hardly shift.

Checked lever in cylinder and is full . I noticed that in the description of parts replaced in cluth the is no throw bearing included.

So Would the lack of replacing the throw bearing be causing this?
Or ( i have not done this) U thing there is apossibility of air in the clutch line?

Thanks for the advice ......
G.

possible crank sensor, 55 bucks at autozone
not sure about the clutch problem, but i dont know why anyone would replace the clutch without replacing the throwout bearing

Thanks Jess & whompinxj for the advice . I'll be bleeding the clutch line &
I 'll be replacing that sensor.
There is still hope for the week end.
I'll advice on the results.
Take care

I got juice from coil to distributor BUT nothing to spark plugs.........

have you looked at distributor cap and rotor? is the rotor turning?

i do agree on potential CPS problem, but the above contradicts the usual symptoms

good luck.

Hey thanks for the input thall , I replaced the cap and rotor
9 it did need it) but still the same. so today I'm getting that CPS and see if it runs.

HEllo NAXJA Nation!!

Indeed replaced CPS and runs great.

But Still have that problem w/ shifting ; I bleeded the clutch line and it helped but still half the time I shift it doesn't gear smoothly.
I know its a no brainer. to also replace the bearing when replacing clutch ..
But I got this MJ about a couple of months ago and came with the receipts that the clutch and Master Cyl were replaced . But in the parts desciption of the job It does not mention the bearing .

Are there different lenghts of master cyl. >?

Should I just take down the tranny and Replace the whole clutch and start fresh?

Appreciate Ur input Want to do this before the weekend is here .
Thanks . Keep Trail riding ya'll.

Vacuum bleed the clutch with an electric unit. Until you do that, don't replace anything. By the way the throwout bearing is the slave cylinder on most XJ's.

Just a note. Vacuum bleeding with a good electric unit solves most problems like this. Manual bleeding just doesn't cut it. With the vacuum unit, reducing the pressure makes the bubbles bigger and because it is a constant flow, it drags the bubbles along to the catch jar.

Hey thanks old man ....

I'll try with an electric unit .
I have not taken down such tranny yet. do you know if your take on the throwout bearing applies to the Peugot BA10?

I'd like to know in case the bleeding doesn't fix it... ;0)
Keep trail riding ya'll.

Back