• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveshaft u-joint slides back/forth

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I dont get this, my rear riveshaft and joints haven't given me any problem for 2 years. I'm driving one day, stop at a light, get back up to speed, and i realize i have a rumbling/slight vibe when i hit 50+ mph now

So i replace the rear joint, since it had play in it, and all was good for about 5 days. then all of a sudden the noise/vibe comes back. I check the new joint and it almost seems as if it is too small for the yoke???

This is hard to explain, but the joint straps are supposed to hold the caps snug, correct?? But the straps won't get a hold of the caps, almost like the caps are too small.......but it's the right PN# joint. So, they move around and i get this annoying rumbling noise/vibe.

I sandpapered all the rust and crap off the mating surfaces of the yoke and the joint straps, since i thought maybe the crap was providing a little clearance for the cap. But this didn't make a difference........

Help would be awesome, as i'm not sure how to fix this now.........thanks!

'01 NP231 8.25

You have the wrong u-joint. the straps hold the caps from turning if they don't come close to zero clearance than it the wrong u-joint, period.

153 joint correct? thats what all the parts stores specify, and i made sure to check the # on the box before i used it

i should probably clarify, the clearance that the straps are giving to the caps is very very small......but enough that they can be pushed back and forth

could this be a possible strap problem?

Last edited:
are you saying the width from cap to cap is not matching the width of the straps? I guess I'm alittle stumped when you say you can move back and forth?

oh no, the physical size of the joint is right

i mean once i have the joint in, and the straps torqued, the straps just simply aren't holding the caps in place like they should.......so the joint has a little play

I guess I would replace the u-joint and get a new strap kit. I wouldn't trust a u-joint if the caps have spun. Theres always the chance that you dislodged a needle bearing during install, and now with a few miles on it, it's eating up inside creating clearance issues.

They always tell you to replace straps when replacing u-joint. I am wondering if maybe they stretch a little when torqued down??

tommyr said:
They always tell you to replace straps when replacing u-joint. I am wondering if maybe they stretch a little when torqued down??
they do, and you should replace them.

X2 w/manche I'd still r&r u-joint if there any indication a cap had spun

guess i'll replace the straps

now i'm just curious, if this doesn't solve the problem and the caps are still able to move......what would be the next step??

oh yeah, i meant to ask, should i use thread locker on the strap bolts??? fsm says nothing about it....

do any parts stores stock these regularly???

Last edited:
they shouldn't be hard to get, might have to try more than one store. locktite? good, but you gotta remember you might be the next one has to take apart. my two cents, no locktite. If the strap kit don't tighten sheet up than your yoke is shot. once again, sure you got the right u-joint

silent_bob_662001 said:
they shouldn't be hard to get, might have to try more than one store. locktite? good, but you gotta remember you might be the next one has to take apart. my two cents, no locktite. If the strap kit don't tighten sheet up than your yoke is shot. once again, sure you got the right u-joint
positive, the caps press perfectly into the shaft side openings (as well as the part # being correct)

shouldn't have to use locktite, and they don't have the be super tight, something like 14 ft lbs I think.
I just tighten them with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

you need a new pinion yoke. over time the bearing cap on the u-joint will dig and cut out the two tabs on either side of the yoke and create alittle play. i have the exact same problem going on with my jeep right now. i thought the noise was coming from my drums ebrake brackets, then shocks, then i replaced u-joint, spicer 1310 and the noise continued. i took it to the shop that set up my gears thinking something was wrong with the trutrak and the drove with me , listened to the noise and crawled unerneath. thats the first thing he went for . he showed me the play in the yoke and explained that it's a somewhat common thing. so long story short, you need a new pinion yoke and seal.

^well i do have a mm or 2 of play between the ears of the yoke, i figured they were just factory clearances since they're relatively small

but even then, i don't understand how that would keep the straps from holding the caps down?? the surfaces of the yoke that cradle the caps seem to be in pretty good shape........

i just checked, good thing the yoke is only $50 and it comes off with a simple nut

the simple nut will be torqued down pretty right, so make sure you've got a large breaker bar. You'll also need a torque wrench to put it on properly, I don't know what the setting is on the 8.25 or if it uses a cruch sleeve, but those are things you need to find out before you take it off.

oh wow, i just got a chance to go and check everything..........the u-joint is actually NOT loose like i thought, everything is taut and there is no play

so i dont understand what would cause this rumbling noise?

Fred85 said:
oh wow, i just got a chance to go and check everything..........the u-joint is actually NOT loose like i thought, everything is taut and there is no play

so i dont understand what would cause this rumbling noise?

how does it go from loose w/ play to now tight. i'm alittle confused. did you re-grease the joint?

park on flat surface, block wheels, put in nuatral and recheck. If the driveline is in park it can give you false result as it may be a bit bound up.

^^well originally it was caused by a bad joint, i had play and and thus (i think) got the rumbling noise...............i replaced the joint and the noise went away for a few days, but then came back, so i assumed it was loose again

i guess my assumption was wrong, this is driving me nuts!

Back