• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homebrew longarms soon to be write-up!

4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
alright i have a homebrew longarm idea i would like to run by you guys, and i would like to know some measurements from you guys too.

here i was at big r the other day and i saw some tractor tie-bars and they are beefy and already have johnny joints on the ends. now when i make the custom bracket for the rear mount i can make it the same size as the johnny joint. but the axle side i will need to make something. they sell assortment of lengths and i should be able to make uppers and lower ones. i would like to get some messurments of some people longarms you have already have. the bracket for the rear will be going next to the tcase bracket.

my jeep have 6" of lift and 33s so thanks. any other ideas would be great. thanks for your time and ill give it a shot hence the tie-bars are only 18$ ill post some pics on monday or maybe this weekend. late

Well, this isn't a new idea.... several have proposed using those tie-bars as suspension pieces. So............

Everyone that's used them successfully please post up your pics of them installed.

Anyone?

Bueller?

(Crickets)

IIRC, those tractor rod ends are not the Heavy duty ones you need.
guys that are desert racing using heims need to rebuild after every race. rod ends can "pound out" or loosen up, or smash the liners out. I'd stick with a factory joint such as RE, or Currie, or Nth.

There was a long article on the jeepaholics webpage by a guy who built a rear link suspension for a wrangler using tractor links.(they were temp/experimental if I recall) I think he posted drawings with measurements and link geometry.
A few thoughts on the tractor link fab. ( I'm not a suspension expert, but I know a couple things about tractors.
The tractor 3 point hitch links are steel ball on steel race. The balls are set in and the cage is pressed in around it. They have quite a bit of play in them. This won't matter if the jeep is off road all the time, but could make some interesting handling on highway. I've seen bars with over 1/2 inch ovreall play in them. They will be noisy - expect a lot of squeeks/bangs. The extreme flexing will work the lock nuts loose, and the rods will try to unscrew. That said, they should be plenty tough.
It would cost a little more, but if you have the skill to fab up the mounts, making the arms out of 4130 DOM with heim joints would be cake.

Back