• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Gen2 Disconnects- remove lower link bolt?

QNJSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
HELP.. RE Gen2 Discs- remove lower link bolt?

Is there any reason to remove the star bolt(the one everyone says is a pain to remove) on the bottom of the swaybar link and install the bolt supplied by RE when installing their Gen2 disconnects? The threads are the same as the bolts supplied with the mounting pin and all I have to do is leave the factory bolts there, cut them off to the proper length and thread the pin on. XJ is a 2000, I am installing RE6030.

Thanks!

Last edited:
the threads on the bolt that is there will rip the busing apart. The new setup from rubicon is smooth so the bushing will last longer and not get caught when trying to connect and disco

Thanks for the replies.

Here is what I did; since the gen2 disconnects have a smooth lower mounting pin that threads on over the bolt, I went ahead and used the factory lower link bolt and cut it to length then threaded the lower mounting pin onto the factor bolt securing it with loctite; seems more robust than the RE supplied bolts as everyone has to use torch/BFH to remove them I figure they should stay put.

on removing that factory bolt, I ground the head off then popped it loose by tightening the nut with a 36" breaker bar. An impact would be great. ust put a few washers between the nut and the swaybar link bracket and keep tightening. Popped right out.

torched mine out! easy as pie after that

boomhauer said:
isn't that lower link bolt pressed in? if i recall correctly mine was a pressed in fit and had splines instead of threads.
yes. they are pressed in. they have both splines and threads. splines for the part that is pressed into the swaybar axle bracket and threads for the nut that holds the swaybar on.

PICT6752.jpg

FitchVA said:
yes. they are pressed in. they have both splines and threads. splines for the part that is pressed into the swaybar axle bracket and threads for the nut that holds the swaybar on.

PICT6752.jpg

Picture worth a thousand words right there... sure beats ringing off the square-drive end of a breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe... :D

FitchVA said:

PICT6752.jpg

Ah yes, the cursing is coming back to me now.

Back