• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

B&M Trans cooler with electric fan ?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Just spent a while searching threads and have not found anyone who has installed an aftermarket cooler with fan. I would like to install the B&M stacked plate cooler with the 9.5" fan(B&M # 70297), but at 3.5" thick, there is not room for the unit to fit between the grill and the A/C condenser. Any suggestions on how to mount it? I'm thinking of removing the grill and then fabricating something to replace the OEM grill to protect the cooler and rad from bird/rock damage. This XJ is used on a rural mail route. Just installed B&M trans temp guages for both the output and return trans fluid lines. Overheats on the route even today when it was in the low to mid 30's. The fluid is running through the little 3"X15" OEM aux cooler only. Has not been hooked up to the rad transmission cooler tank for years. Thoughts?

Last edited:
i followed the write up on jeepin.com

http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/

if you mount it in front of the main fan (one connected to the pully) it will constantly have air moving across it, even if you are sitting in traffic or running down the interstate.

from jeepin.com: "so far the new cooler seems to be working just fine, keeping the transmission at a comfortable 160*, whether I'm cruising at 65mph down the highway listening to my tires howl or sitting in rush hour traffic reenacting the opening scenes of Office Space."

In the Jeepin' article, he disassembles the front end to install the cooler. I was hoping to install one without taking off the front end. Is that impossible?

I installed the same cooler, just one size larger. Didn't take anything other than the grill off. Oh and the plastic clip around the lights of course so the grill comes off easier.
So no you don't need to take the full clip off, just the plastic grill gaurd, and light bezels (think thats what their called)
8 Screws, 1 minute max, the install is super easy.

beakie said:
I installed the same cooler, just one size larger. Didn't take anything other than the grill off. Oh and the plastic clip around the lights of course so the grill comes off easier.
So no you don't need to take the full clip off, just the plastic grill gaurd, and light bezels (think thats what their called)
8 Screws, 1 minute max, the install is super easy.

Which model cooler did you install?

I installed mine UNDER the radiator so I was not then transferring the heat into the engine radiator instead and further reducing air flow through the radiator.
TaurusFan29.jpg

I have a Taurus fan mounted vertically to draw air through both the radiator and the cooler but you could just mount a separate fan for the cooler only too.

Details on my site www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back