• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Long Arm question ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently drive a 94 HO AW4, D30 & 8.25" , I m still a college student and its my daily and only driver.
Yesterday i spent a whole day driving a 2007 KJ and was impressed by 2 things ONLY : ride height and comfort.

I want to get the full traction long arm kit for these reasons:
Its more comfortable
Better onroad handling
Good for desert driving, no place to wheel here
Reasonable ride height.

Here goes my question:
can i get the full traction kit and install all the kit components exept the springs and keep it on stock springs ?:huh:

The reason is I cant afford buying the kit + rear CV + SYE kit + wheels all at the same time, but untill i get the CV and SYE can i benefit from installing the long arms ?

Answer is probably no.

Long arms...are LONGER and thus would push the axles further away. Probably doesn't have enough adjustment to get it back to stock wheelbase.

Just save up your money and wait till you have a DD. I wanted to lift and do all that stuff in college. I landed up waiting till I graduated, got a job and got a DD. Now the jeep is my big boy toy and is getting hooked up! It's worth the wait. Just put some nice shocks for now. You'd be surprised how much that will help the ride.

You definitely should wait IMHO. Look at your suspension as a system. An incomplete system is going to be noticeably incomplete. It will leave you with a feeling that you are missing something (because you are). ;)

I say do it all at once and be done with it. Otherwise you'll likely be disappointed.

Full traction kit is nice my buddy has one on his 98

But we called them looking to buy just the front part minus the springs they would not sell it just in parts like that.

Or you could do what im doing and slowly build it...get a small lift 3-4.5" along with a sye and then start saving and prioitizing...i know its seems like you need to do every thing right away...but there is alot your jeep can do with just a 2" lift lockers skids and recovery

The point of a longarm kit is to have better control arm angles for a better ride when you're lifted past 5 or 6 inches. Since you're at stock ride height your control arms are already parallel with the ground and it's not going to get any better. Just get a budget boost and some OME shocks and that should help things out a lot.

The reason a 2007 KJ rides so much better than an XJ is not b/c of its control arms. Its an IFS vehicle with struts up front. There is no way an XJ will ever ever be able to compete with an IFS platform without switching to IFS, and that would ruin the point of having the XJ b/c the solid axle up front is what is needed to handle large tires and high torque loads.

One reason you probably can't do this is that the FT lower control arms will bottom out against your frame rails. I know this for a fact b/c while installing mine very recently I left the factory coils springs in while performing other tasks, adjustments. It will or almost will bottom out even with no load on them. You 'need' the taller springs to create the proper clearance/angles.

Back