• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about xj lift kits??

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
im looking into putting a lift on my 89 cherokee..i want th have 33s on it..

what is the difference in getting a rubicon 4.5 in lift compared to a rough country lift??

there is a big difference in price and i was wondering why exactly?

The Rubicon may have the Drop bracket set up which allows a lot more articulation and better road manners and ride. It also really sits at around 5.5 to 6 inches. The rough country lift is what my son had. It is good to start out and then add to later. You will get a true 4" lift with it.

To put it simply, RE uses better material. I've got a 4.5 Rough Country on my Jeep and I'm happy with it. A lot of people on here will tell you that RC rides real rough and it sucks, but my stock suspension was so beat up it actually rides better now. It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and how much real off-road time your Jeep will see.

Jeff

I have the RC 4.5" lift, and I need like another 2" to clear my 33's, so I'm thinking of upgrading it to the 6.5" lift (not sure what brand)

Is this not necessary for the 33's?

TunaSoda said:
I have the RC 4.5" lift, and I need like another 2" to clear my 33's, so I'm thinking of upgrading it to the 6.5" lift (not sure what brand)

Is this not necessary for the 33's?

Trim your fenders and add bumpstopping.

I say go with the TnT 5.5" kit. It will eventually sag to 4.5 inches if you have heavy bumpers and a winch. It's a more complete kit and it rides a lot better than any short arm kit, even with drop brackets.

I have the RC 3" lift and it rides pretty rough, not horrible but it does leave something to be desired.

The RE kit comes "complete", where the rough country kit does not. Look at the contents of each lift (listed on their websites) and you will see the difference. It's all the little things, a proper trackbar setup, longer brake lines, etc .. the things that do more than just make your jeep taller, but make it streetable again afterwards that make a good lift kit.

If you don't go RE now, you will later. Save yourself some dough and do it right the first time.

And no, the RE 4.5" kit does not come with drop brackets - only the 5.5" kit.

I am not sure what lift I am running as I bought the jeep with the lift already on it, but I think its a 4.5" RC and I am running 33's. I had to do some trimming though. For the money I would go with the RC. EBAY has it for like 450 and it comes with everything. Myself I want to go with a 6.5" lift and run 35's

ya i was looking at the 6.5 lift on ebay its so much cheaper but i do want to do it right..eventually i want my jeep to just be for 4x4ing and get a car for the city..i think im going to with the rubicon lift..

thanks for all the information everyone

I'm planning on going with the RE 4.5 probably, not too concerned with huge tires. As my Jeep only gets driven rarely, because I travel all the time with work, I'd rather pay for a great lift now....unfortunately I'm not going to be able to install it.

That's why I recommended the TnT kit. Eventually, you may want to go with taller springs/leaves and the y-link is a long arm setup. It will grow with you, so to speak. Plus, it rides better than any short arm kit and many of the components in their kit are Rubicon Express parts, they just tailor it for the XJ a bit more and improve the strength of everything that can be strengthened further.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xjcatalog.asp

YLinkSample31.jpg

Back