• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WAGGY D44 WRITE UP?

deadmanwalking

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made a write up about swaping a d44 from a FSJ waggy to a XJ? Im thinking of buying a XJ and want to sawp both axles to d44s out of a waggy and i would like to know if someone has done this and what are the finer points of the install?

I plan on running a Rusty's 6.5" long arm kit and some 35s, Lockers, and a SYE. Im not rock crawling but i will be on moderate trails and lots of mud.

any other suggestions will be helpful as well.

I haven't done a writeup, but I did just complete the swap. It really is just a matter of locating your bracketry, in whatever form you decide, so that it works with the frame-mount side of things. I used some Montero radius arms that I got for free, so mine is far from typical, but the best/easiest thing I have seen for "stock" bracket location is the TnT D44 truss, which essentially locates all your brackets for you once the truss is in place -- maybe Matt or Bob will pop in and give some details...

Chris

Check out cruzinillusion's write up on the truss here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907435

deadmanwalking said:
Has anyone made a write up about swaping a d44 from a FSJ waggy to a XJ? Im thinking of buying a XJ and want to sawp both axles to d44s out of a waggy and i would like to know if someone has done this and what are the finer points of the install?

I plan on running a Rusty's 6.5" long arm kit and some 35s, Lockers, and a SYE. Im not rock crawling but i will be on moderate trails and lots of mud.

any other suggestions will be helpful as well.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326
This might help you. But I can tell you this, even though I have alot of fabricating experience, I wouldn't build my own brackets again. I have about 25 hours into mine, they're strong but not very pretty.

I should have just bought the TnT truss and brackets. We installed a set on an HP44 in about an hour.

Last edited:
As far as I know the TNT truss isn't available for the LP Waggy 44, only the HP Ford. If I'm wrong, please feel free to edjumacate me... :laugh:

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF said:
As far as I know the TNT truss isn't available for the LP Waggy 44, only the HP Ford. If I'm wrong, please feel free to edjumacate me... :laugh:

Later,
Joe

Not wrong, but I think Bob and Matt gave a "how-to-modify-it-to-work" on a waggy D44 in the above linked thread...

Crash_AF said:

Later,
Joe

They just did the proto-type HP44 for the XJ on Cruzin Illusions rig a couple of months ago and that is the one that only took an hour to weld up, they should be selling it soon if not already.

I am not sure if the truss is the same on the LP44, probably not, but I'll bet it would take minimal modification to use it. The spring perches and LCA mount brackets will be the same.

87xjco said:
They just did the proto-type HP44 for the XJ on Cruzin Illusions rig a couple of months ago and that is the one that only took an hour to weld up, they should be selling it soon if not already.

I am not sure if the truss is the same on the LP44, probably not, but I'll bet it would take minimal modification to use it. The spring perches and LCA mount brackets will be the same.

I agree that it wont fit exactly but I used to custom fab replacement parts for CAT dozers and moding the truss shouldnt be to hard. Granted i dont have one infront of me and i dont have the tools I had in the shop i used to work for but.....I dont think it would be that different and having the spring pearches and brackets allready located for the XJ would make it worth it.

Back