• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana 44 Brakes

imboostedru

NAXJA Forum User
I may be getting a rear Dana 44 from a 87 XJ. I does not have any of the brake components. I was wondering the differences between the 44 and the Chrysler 8.25 brakes. Thank you.

44 has bigger drums and shoes.

you could probably redrill your Cryco8.25's backing plate to work on it.

I have a question also about the 44 rear end. I have an 87 in mine with the drum brakes. When crawling in 4 lo on 35s it pushes thru the brakes. Is there a direct swap disk set up that works on the 87 44s ?
Thanks

boise49ers said:
Is there a direct swap disk set up that works on the 87 44s ?
Thanks

Not exactly a direct swap but a simple one is ZJ Grand Cherokee rear disks or Ford Crown Vic rear disks. Use the SEARCH function for more info.

boise49ers said:
I have a question also about the 44 rear end. I have an 87 in mine with the drum brakes. When crawling in 4 lo on 35s it pushes thru the brakes. Is there a direct swap disk set up that works on the 87 44s ?
Thanks

Teraflex makes one; the best price I've found on it is $544.95 through Summit Racing. Apparently it's more or less an '89 Explorer setup, but don't hold me to that as mine haven't come in yet.

Yes, it was pricey... But for all-new parts that're a bolt-in, I figured it was worth it rather than going the junkyard route.

Do a ZJ disc swap over, don't even bother with the drums, you can even set it on a couple of horses and take your time....

Back