• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which long arm lift?

osweezea

NAXJA Forum User
Deal.... or no deal?

I have found a 98 Cherokee Classic with 146,xxx miles and completely stock. I offered $3000 ( of course after 2200, and 2700), and he agreed to 3000. I am curious to see what you guys think, Deal....or no deal? Is it worth 3000? Blue book here in my area is from 3000 to 3500. And I love the look of the Classics, but just wanted some thoughts.

But, for a more serious question. I have been going back and forth from kit to kit, trying to figure out which way to go. I know there is alot of info on lifts here, and I have searched thoroughly. I have narrowed it down to four. Of course there are pro's and con's for all, and I will give you my thoughts on why or why not this kit or that. But first,

I will be wheeling in mud. Lots of mud. I live in MI and we have a wet, muddy spring, fall, and sometimes winter. Summers usually are not too bad, but we have few good rocky areas, so I will be finding some to crawl somewhere in my future, but my home wheeling will be in the mud.

Also, because of this mud, I would like to fit at least 35's, maybe 37's (wife says go with 37's!!) for the sake of axle clearance. Many of the mud holes that I must run to get to the trails and areas I would rather be in are seriously rutted from any size tires, but mostly from 38's to 49's. Axle clearance is a big issue for me, so like I said, at least 35's and maybe even 37's. I have had an XJ with the Skyjacker 8" RR, and it was decent. So, I will be adding ACOS and probably a rear block to get to at least 8" overall. I know many of you think that is too high, but for my needs as of right now, I think it is well placed. And besides, once I have it built, and if I get into more crawling, I can then remove the spacers, both front and rear, and I should be fine, right? As far as axles, I will run stock until I break them. I think mud is easier on axles than rocks, butI do foresee somewhere down the line, maybe a D44 front, and rear D60? But as I said....future!

So, here are my choices of lifts in order of my preference, with thoughts on each. Let me know what you think.

1) Full traction 6" Long arm

Sounds like a great kit to me other than the fact that many people have issues with a decrease of 2" of ground clearance from the LCA frame mounts. I will be in mud alot and with the rutting issues of above, I am concerned that these will be a hinderence. Also, if I run 35's, the lack of tranny/transfer case skid plate is a negative thought for those same reasons. UPA's and LCA's are both adjustable though, and thats a plus for me. The trackbar also does not seem to be adjustable, and that is a big negative. The Skyjacker trackbar was not, and gave me all sorts of issues.

http://full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=98&NOTES=9,10

2) RE XJ 5.5" Extreme duty long arm

Also seems like a good kit, and does have more of a tranny/transfer case skid plate than the Full Traction kit. But, for some reason I am not sure of the radius arm style control arms. Mentally, I think that Full Tractions four link seems to be better. But again, both UPA and LCA are adjustable. The track bar is as well.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2025&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=6F118C1201515

3) Rockkrawler XJ 6.5 or 8 X FACTOR PLUS LONG ARM SYSTEM

Sounds good, but is it the right choice for as much mud as I see? While in the mud, there are alot of ruts that are not seen, and can be quite hard on the control arms. Three links do well in the rocks, but I'm just not sure wether I need them. Anybody ever run these in alot of mud? Also, al arms are adjustable, but once again, lack of tranny/transfer case skid plate.

http://rockkrawler.com/

4) BDS 6-1/2" 4WD Jeep Cherokee XJ Long Arm System

Basically, this would be my last choice. Lack of skid plate, and lack of flex joints at the contol arm ends. Basically you can neglect this choice.

Those are the majority of my thoughts.

But, does anyone know if I could use the RE9920 (the laon arm crossmember kit) with the full traction kit? Or maybe the TNT skid with the FT?

Thanks to all who took the time (it must have been too long) to read and reply. I let you all know what I decide!

Happy Wheelin'

Re: Deal.... or no deal?

I did not, but thank you. I did not mention this, but the prices I have found for the BDS have been nearly $500 more than the rest. Thanks again though

Re: Deal.... or no deal?

are there any skid plate/cross member units that give access to the transfer case that will work with the long arms?

I have found a 98 Cherokee Classic with 146,xxx miles and completely stock. I offered $3000 ( of course after 2200, and 2700), and he agreed to 3000. I am curious to see what you guys think, Deal....or no deal? Is it worth 3000? Blue book here in my area is from 3000 to 3500. And I love the look of the Classics, but just wanted some thoughts.

But, for a more serious question. I have been going back and forth from kit to kit, trying to figure out which way to go. I know there is alot of info on lifts here, and I have searched thoroughly. I have narrowed it down to four. Of course there are pro's and con's for all, and I will give you my thoughts on why or why not this kit or that. But first,

I will be wheeling in mud. Lots of mud. I live in MI and we have a wet, muddy spring, fall, and sometimes winter. Summers usually are not too bad, but we have few good rocky areas, so I will be finding some to crawl somewhere in my future, but my home wheeling will be in the mud.

Also, because of this mud, I would like to fit at least 35's, maybe 37's (wife says go with 37's!!) for the sake of axle clearance. Many of the mud holes that I must run to get to the trails and areas I would rather be in are seriously rutted from any size tires, but mostly from 38's to 49's. Axle clearance is a big issue for me, so like I said, at least 35's and maybe even 37's. I have had an XJ with the Skyjacker 8" RR, and it was decent. So, I will be adding ACOS and probably a rear block to get to at least 8" overall. I know many of you think that is too high, but for my needs as of right now, I think it is well placed. And besides, once I have it built, and if I get into more crawling, I can then remove the spacers, both front and rear, and I should be fine, right? As far as axles, I will run stock until I break them. I think mud is easier on axles than rocks, butI do foresee somewhere down the line, maybe a D44 front, and rear D60? But as I said....future!

So, here are my choices of lifts in order of my preference, with thoughts on each. Let me know what you think.

Sounds like a great kit to me other than the fact that many people have issues with a decrease of 2" of ground clearance from the LCA frame mounts. I will be in mud alot and with the rutting issues of above, I am concerned that these will be a hinderence. Also, if I run 35's, the lack of tranny/transfer case skid plate is a negative thought for those same reasons. UPA's and LCA's are both adjustable though, and thats a plus for me. The trackbar also does not seem to be adjustable, and that is a big negative. The Skyjacker trackbar was not, and gave me all sorts of issues.

http://full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=9 8&NOTES=9,10

Also seems like a good kit, and does have more of a tranny/transfer case skid plate than the Full Traction kit. But, for some reason I am not sure of the radius arm style control arms. Mentally, I think that Full Tractions four link seems to be better. But again, both UPA and LCA are adjustable. The track bar is as well.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2025&XnPath=173,180,188&Vi d=6F118C1201515

Sounds good, but is it the right choice for as much mud as I see? While in the mud, there are alot of ruts that are not seen, and can be quite hard on the control arms. Three links do well in the rocks, but I'm just not sure wether I need them. Anybody ever run these in alot of mud? Also, al arms are adjustable, but once again, lack of tranny/transfer case skid plate.

Basically, this would be my last choice. Lack of skid plate, and lack of flex joints at the contol arm ends. Basically you can neglect this choice.

http://full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=9 8&NOTES=9,10

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2025&XnPath=173,180,188&Vi d=6F118C1201515

http://www.bc4x4.com/inthenews/default.cfm?ID=140

Those are the majority of my thoughts.

But, does anyone know if I could use the RE9920 (the laon arm crossmember kit) with the full traction kit? Or maybe the TNT skid with the FT?

Thanks to all who took the time (it must have been too long) to read and reply. I let you all know what I decide!

Happy Wheelin'

WOW.... i'll only post my comment once my comment once my comment once.....

No really, I like 1, 2, or 3.. but I dont think you will see any benefits of the 3-link in the mud. Oh and I absolutely hate mud it destroyies everything...

Also, 37's on stock axles will be fun.. hope its not ABS w/ a D35 rear!

Full-Tractions Trac-bar is adjustable with a frame mount and a frame tie in. The loss of clearance isnt really all that bad for what your gonna be doing but here in colorado I smack those brackets every now and then. Very stout and well designed kit,the rear leafs ride like poo unless your carrying 300lbs of stuff in the rear but i swapped them out for entirely different set-up.

thanks for the input guys. Sorry about the triple post, not sure what happened there.

Does anyone know if there is a skid that will work with the FT kit that will allow access to the transfer case without pulling the whole skid off?

And the axles will be fun until they break. I'm already researching and finding D44's and 60's. But for now, what are the biggest gears I could get for a D35 or chrysler 8.25?

I have heard all good things about TnT and clayton.

Onkover said:

the dana 30 can do 4:88s, but the 8.25 can only go to 4:56 i thought...

I finished installed a FT 6" LA on my 94 recently, and to be honest, the 'ease of installation' (i.e., no weld) is not as compelling as I thought it would be. Lots of holes to drill, many of which are then used for self-tapping bolts which don't seem super strong to me. It took a lot of hours for an at-home install. It did perform well in my initial outing last weekend before I broke both front shafts and took out my ball joints on the driver's side. I think I like the TNT and BDS in that the control/radius arms mount to the crossmember and not some bolt on bracket. Might even be worth the extra money if you can afford it just to save on the install hassle. I plan to post more comments on the FT kit in the near future as I use it a little more. Got a fair amount of pix of the install too.

Back