• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

window tint: how dark is too dark?

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching and i couldnt really find what I wanted so here goes. Since summer is just around the bend I really want to tint my windows soon. I have a two door and I feel like the sun turns my jeep into a sauna. I want the tint to be dark enough so that it is hard for people to see into, but not too dark that I'll be blind at night when backing up. I was thinking about going with 20% on the two door windows and either 5 or 10% on the two back windows and back hatch. I might also get a 6 in strip on the windshield. Does anyone else have tint like this? Do you think it is too dark? My dad has a 98 grand w/ 5.9 that has factory tint and I like his but I think it is too light for my taste. Does anybody know what that percent tint that would be?

Thanks for any help.

victor

I'm assuming your talking about "percent of light blocked" - sometimes, tints are also rated by "percent of light transmitted" - so 15% blocked is the same thing as 85% transmitted.

Legal limits vary from state to state, and should be noted in your vehicle code. Also, there are exception for vehicles wearing "Livery" plates (limousines) and different limits by where the window is on the vehicle - the windscreen is almost always limited to a 4" tint strip across the top and nothing below that, the front side windows (front doors) are typically required to be untinted at all, and the rear windows have limits set by the state vehicle codes.

Still and all, unless I was going to add a backing-up camera and monitor, I wouldn't go past, say, 40% block on the rear windows.

An interesting way around all the other issues with tinting would be found on Marcus/GoJeep's website (search for his posts here, and you should find a link to his site. I don't have it handy...) using gardener's shade cloth tucked into the window seals. Since this isn't tint, it's unregulated in most places (it's roughly comparable to those "window graphics" you can get from JCWhitney for pickup trucks.) Since it doesn't actually tint the windows (think a middlin' dense screen,) it doesn't change the colour of what you're seeing, and you should still have good visibility at night. And, it looks like it would be fairly easy to do on the rear three windows, won't bubble or crack, and can be replaced and re-installed relatively easily (installing tint film is such a pain...) You may want to look into that as an option for you.

I would do a search on your state limit. In Arizona your back windows can be as dark as you want them as long as you have a passenger side mirror, but the front is restricted. I would do my best to stay within the limits because cops don't like what they can't see and it won't make for a positive traffic stop environment and you might find yourself ripping it off on the side of the road.

I live in WA where state laws are hypycrytical but defeatable (not sure of that spelling). On most newer cars, some have tint to the point that you can't see in the car at all from the sides. Go to a car dealer, like Chysler or GM and ask for the specs on the tint for the cars in the showroom. You know, the cars you can't see through. Log the dealer;s answers. Go to your local tint shop and have them tint away. Get busted? Ask the court to bust the thousands of people who've bought new GMs and Chryslers with the same or less amount of tint. You have a case =).

Factory tint is generally 20%. I have my front two windows tinted to match and I think it is a good shade. A friend of mine has 20% tint over the factory tint making it way too dark. You can't even see with an additional set of reverse lights well. Also, I would do the front strip since as it is I have to always duck below my roofline to see what color the traffic light is. Definately check state regulations as if you get a officer that gives you a hard time it's a pretty hefty fine. My friend got a written warning for it on his tahoe from a Mass State trooper when coming back home from school for over $150

Here in Florida, the rules are very strict....even if the tint is in compliance when it is installed (and you get the little sticker in the window that says it is in compliance) if they change the rules, you can still get stopped and issued a repair ticket (have the tint removed or changed to the currently acceptable shade) and have it reinspected to avoid a monetary fine.

Bottom line.....comply with local regs.

Up here ,You can use any shade of tint, I personally use 5%,but beware it is very difficult to see out the back of your jeep when it is that dark,especially offroad at night reversing. For some reason we are not allowed to lagally install tint on the front drivers and passengers windows. Even if the back windows are tinted they will do the peel test on the front windows when they ask for lic and regi to be sure there is no tint, you can't even use clear uv tint on the front ones

my xj has limo tint on the rear door windows and all the rear glass.. its really great for blocking out the light,,great for blocking head lites from tail gaters..but you can't see nothing at night trying to back up...bent my tire carrier backed into a light pole...

stick with 20, ive got it all the way around and i can see fine at night, and when the windows are clean you cant see in at all from outside at night. just drive with your front windows down :D during the day it lets enough light through that the cops dont bother me about it. then again when i get pulled over its usually for something bigger than tint so they dont mention it lol

I also have a 2 door.

With dual outside mirrors rear windows aren't even required, ex; delivery vans.
I recently installed a set of the factory "mirrored" rear side windows I got at the "pick-n-pull" junkyard for $30-. Nice and dark and my wife likes the "last quick check" feature. I personally think that swaping factory rear quarter windows is easier than trying to get the tint right, the glass is big and "square" with a slight curve for strength. Disadvantage is the mirrored windows work both ways and it can be tricky to see out at night.

This is talking about % of light transmitted -

Legal limit in SC is 25% IIRC. I have 15% on everything but the front driver/passenger (35%) and it's ridiculous - Limo tint is 10%. Nobody can see in, but I can see out just fine... during the day. At night it's another story - I can't see anything without lights, and with lights it's not great.

But, during the summer it's awesome and it's also nice knowing that nobody can see what I have in there. One of the reasons I had them tinted was someone broke into my old XJ and stole the stereo out of it just days before me having the tint done.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in SC, tint is only regulated on the front driver/passenger windows. I'm not advocating anything illegal. :D

Well i went to a window tinting shop today to ask a few questions and i think i have decided on what i am going to do. I am for sure getting 30% tint on the front windows and most likely a six inch strip on the windshield. As for the back, I think i am going to go w/ either 15 or 10% on the back windows and hatch window. I leaning towards 15% because I dont think 20% is dark enough and im afraid ill regret 10%. I dont do any wheeling at night, so im not too worried about that and I really would like to hide my amplifiers and subwoofer in the cargo area. Any last opinions? Thanks again for helping me out.

victor

I run 5% on my rear (7) windows, and it is just about perfect. I wouldn't mind a little darker.

I am using proffesional tint, and though dark, I can see out of it better than with cheaper, lighter tint.

When I replace my doors I'll probably put 10-15% on drivers and wing windows.

mikereid350 said:
my xj has limo tint on the rear door windows and all the rear glass.. its really great for blocking out the light,,great for blocking head lites from tail gaters..but you can't see nothing at night trying to back up...bent my tire carrier backed into a light pole...
i think you need a bigger lift most passenger cars stare at my bumper so i could care less about their headlights but ya too dark does suck at night trying to backup

35% IS A VERY LIGHT TINT,
DO 20%, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SEEING OUT OF MY XJ AT NIGHT

It's virtually never enforced here in Florida. One excellent way to avoid any problems is to roll the windows down. If you are stopped, I recommend rolling down the window (with power windows) as quickly as possible and then placing both hands on the steering wheel. It IS ALL about officer safety as we cannot see you if you have tinted windows, especially at night. My best advice is to not speed, not swerve, and drive as a teamplayer and do not make aggressive maneuvers (especially in a lifted vehicle that is obvious). ;)

In my 4 dr '88 model XJ Limited, I have limo tint (95% blacked/5% light transmission?) all the way around. Every single piece of glass. I have an 8" "eyebrow" tint on the front glass as well. Like most XJs, I have the factory "privacy glass" in the back as well.

Is it legal in CA where I live? Don't know, don't care, as I am licensed out of state. If I get stopped, I'm "just visiting, Officer" and since my home state is 3000 miles away there's no chance the cop will know the rules there anyhow.

I love it this dark actually. I've gotten used to backing up @ night....I just take a quick peek behind before I get in if I think it's close. I like to think it keeps people from breaking into it as well, since every time I park it, day or night, rain or shine, I use one of those reflective sunshades in the front glass as well, so no one can see in it at all, even when you hold your hand up to the glass and squint.

I have always run a 5/20 combination on every car I've ever owned, and I love it. It's illegal here in Cali, but in 25 years and 15 different cars running this combo, I've only ever once gotten a tint ticket.

Back