• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone ever used....

wrenchead99

NAXJA Forum User
one of the driveshafts with the slip yoke and a double cardan (cv) joint?? are they any good?? see what you think http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/SYE_Kits_$375.htm

just looking for opinions.

also, I see there are two hack'n'taps listed on the RE website. Is it true that the later style xj kits are easier to install, since you are not mesing around with seals?? I'm looking to get rid of the vibes in myn 98 XJ after 3" of lift

Thanks for all input in advance

wrenchead99 said:
one of the driveshafts with the slip yoke and a double cardan (cv) joint?? are they any good?? see what you think http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/SYE_Kits_$375.htm

also, I see there are two hack'n'taps listed on the RE website. Is it true that the later style xj kits are easier to install, since you are not mesing around with seals?? I'm looking to get rid of the vibes in myn 98 XJ after 3" of lift

3"? Do you have a t-case drop? You are correct, you do not have to mess with the seal on 96+ 231's, but it's really not that big of a deal anyway. The hack-n-tap install isn't that difficult. I would think with 3" of lift, the hack-n-tap would be the way to go (assuming you haven't done massive trimming and are not running 38's in massive boulders :D)
Billy

Well my toyota uses a double cardan in the front and it works great.

I just lifted my 99 xj to 5 inches and used 6 degree shims and i rarely get any vibration

wrenchead99 said:

I bought that kit 6+ years ago,it was better, but not "perfect".Bought a HD kit right after that,been smooth a silk since!

Prerunner said:
Well my toyota uses a double cardan in the front and it works great.

I just lifted my 99 xj to 5 inches and used 6 degree shims and i rarely get any vibration
You got lucky on that one. All Jeeps are diffferent and some just don't really have a issue after a lift like that.

In first Xj build I used the hack and tap kit. I ended up shattering the rear of the shaft one day in the mud. My latest build I went with the AA HD kit. Sure the hack and tap is less expencive but you get what you pay for.

I found a good deal on an AA sye and then used a front driveshaft (double cardan style) as my rear driveshaft. I was able to get another front driveshaft for a great price at a junkyard.

It was a temporary fix, but that was a year and a half ago and it is still going great. It is a daily driver and sees a lot of trails. no vibes/sound at all. another option for ya. I have an 89 with 6.5 inches lift.

the only problem is that I'm running a 242 t-case, so my options are limited. However, right now I'm running 3 inches with 31 inch tires, and want to add 1.5-2" spacers up front and shackles in the rear. usage is primarily mud, but I still want the vehicle to be functional enough to remain my DD and pull a trailer every once in a while in the summer. I would love to convert to a 231 T-case, but i do like the awd option of the 242.

thought maybe the driveshaft idea would work. I'm more used to wranglers, so this xj thing is kinda new to me.

check out gojeeps site, he recently finished a write up on installing a SYE other than the normal hack'n'tap using various parts he collected. it seems like the usually GoJeep genious and may be helpful to those of us with the 242.

Back