• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 Clutch

Pelican

NAXJA Member #1191
1985 2.5L with external clutch slave cylinder. Is anyone familiar enough with the internal clutch components on one of these dinosaurs to know about a plastic piece that the slave pushrod bears against?

My clutch failed, possibly as a consequence of this piece disintegrating. I decided to have a recommended local shop who I tend to trust so far, go ahead and replace all components while they had the transmission pulled. They found a piece of broken plastic in the housing but were unable to determine exactly what it is. Jeep parts people were unfamiliar with what it might be a part of, including the OEM slave or fork. The long and short of it is that the clutch will not fully release. They have tried a slightly longer pushrod but it is still not right.

There are always the questions about defective cylinders and proper bleeding, but aside from those, what about this mysterious plastic piece that presumably effectively lengthens the pushrod?

Thanks for your help.

Back