• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid capacity on AW4-pan and filter still installed

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a new to me AW4 into my 1990 and am about to fill it up. When I put it in I left the pan and filter up and just pulled the drain, so I assume it's holding about a quart up there captive? Also when I installed it, the torque converter had a mouthful or two of fluid in it. What should I start off with, and should I let it just sit there and idle for a few minutes to get it circulating? I know it's ideally checked after driving 15 minutes but I don't really want to do that with too low of a fluid level. If someone could help me ASAP that would be great.
Thanks,
Collin

Pour in four quarts, and let it idle. Check every couple of minutes as the torque converter fills up, and add fluid in about one-pint increments.

"Service fill" on the AW4 is about four quarts (give or take - and that's assuming a full torque converter,) with a "dry fill" being about eight.

Bear in mind that the hash-marked zone on the dipstick is one pint in height - which is why I suggested adding fluid in one-pint increments until you get there.

Ideally, the fluid should be check "Warm, engine running, in Park" as I recall - it should say on the dipstick. Fill until it reads, continue filling until you get right around the hashmarks on the dipstick, and then you can drive it about to really heat it up. However, the pump runs when the engine is idling, and the torque converter and hydraulics will still get filled up with fluid.

Ended up taking about 5.3 quarts all together. Thanks Jon.

dang, I just put a tranny cooler on mine, drained it, let it sit for about and hour and still only put about 4 1/2 quarts in it. may have to check it again tomorrow after a good drive.

Back