• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ NewB Needs Help

NotMyXJ-P5

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states, I am an XJ newb. I own a Mazda P5 the XJ is my wife's. Anyway...I've noticed alot of problems in the engine bay concerning the vacuum lines being connected in the wrong places and/or blocked off. So...I'm providing a few pictures for you all to see what I have to deal with so you can get a better idea.

Okay...after searching around, I can't figure out why I can't find the
"Manage Attatchments" button to post pictures in this post. I'm not sure how you all feel about just clicking the add image button. The mazda forums are anti-"add image" button. I usually have to add pics to attatchments then attatch it to a post. Is it the same here? :helpme:

easiest is to just post it on photobucket, and then post the

Yeah, that's what the Mazda Forums are against. But as long as it's okay here then I will do it.

Thanks.

Here they are!!!

It is an '89 2WD i-6 XJ

Pix001.jpg

Pix003.jpg

Pix004.jpg

I got the "correct"(if correct) information from the Haynes manual. It seems as if it had a over heating problem before because there's dried up orange colored coolant on the engine bay and hood where the overflow tank sits. Plus the fan was hardwired. Oh, and the oil pressure gauge shoots to max when the engine starts.

my hayne's manual has vacum diagrams, it is accurite for the renix motors(looks like what you have) I suggest getting a factory service manual, & just tare into it. Got my FSM on CD from Ebay

It's been a while since I had my 87, but you have the MAP sensor going to the right port now, I think. The throttle body has two holes there, but one of them is blind and does nothing. Originally it had a fitting with two teats on it, so if you now are using a plain tube, make sure you get it into the right hole. I think the blue line that goes along the firewall (and eventually to the vacuum canister) belongs to the mystery (red oval) fitting on the manifold, and the CCV line from the rear of the valve cover should go to the fitting on the manifold currently connected to the purple line.

The big brown tube from the air cleaner in pic 3 should go to the forward grommet on the top of the valve cover. When this system is working, the rear vacuum line should suck out the crankcase fumes, and the forward, large tube, will be the air intake for the crankcase. Old Renix era Jeeps have a tendency to blow out the wrong way and foul the air cleaner, so it needs to be done right.

Somewhere in the mares-nest of red tubes in the last pic, one should be heading over to the EGR solenoid, whereupon another line should go to the EGR from there. I don't remember the details of that.

Sorry I can't help more, but maybe it's a start until someone with more recent Renix experience chimes in.

5-90 should have this stuff pretty well memorized by now.

Thanks Matthew Currie. That did help quite a bit. I'll get those lines right after I'm done eating, haha.

And thanks to Jess for some input as well. I got the termonology (CCV) from Haynes. Kind of confused me 'cause on my Mazda it's called a PCV like you said.

I would go otu and take a picture of the routing chart under my hood but threes water falling from the sky at the monent.....once it clears up ill so just that. Its got to be on the inter-web somewhere by now tho.

DSCF2569.JPG

Sorry its blurry but you should still be able to make out the locations.

Last edited:
Thanks WallyMan. But I have a question...Where is the hose that the arrow points to? And where the circle is, where does the hose go? Is it connecting to the intake hose?

DSCF2569.jpg

BTW, I re-did the hoses to what Matthew Currie told me.

I have one more pic to post later. Concerning the hose on the back of the air box that leads to the crankcase, it appears as if mine wasn't suppose to be there because a hole was cut on the air box where the pipe goes in.

I lied, I have two pics...

Pix010.jpg

Pix011.jpg

The hole is on the back of the intake box. The second pic was taken from the inside of the box (I just flipped it upside down). They did cut it up from what it looks like to me.

As far as the other hose that leads to the "canister" I can't find it or this "canister".

Last edited:
Ah ha! If Haynes servies me right, the "canister" should be below the A/C hoses (Below and to the right of the coolant pressure bottle. Correct? If I am...then I don't have that, mine is missing.

that would be the charcoal canister you are refering to. It is for gas recirculation. As far as I know it is realy not needed, but everyone says you are supposed to have it anyway.

It should be mounted on the "frame rail", near the firewall, on the passenger side.

that hose you circled ought to connect to the side of the intake hose, right out of the airbox. The hole in that other pic should be a connector, a larger "male" fitting, to slip a hose onto, that connects to the PCV. I BELIEVE, but am not 100% on it, but theres a small valve in the airbox that went inside where it had been hollowed out. I dont have mine connected anymore, i have a filter on the top of the lifter cover. It may not be thr ight way to do it, but i didnt wanna buy a new PCV and line, the older one broke due to it being brittle. But that is what goes there.you can patch it up and it wont affect anything if you dont want to hook the PCV back up to it.As i understand it, the purpose of the PCV pulling air from the lifter cover is to reduce harmful gasses and corrosive elements from that environment.I dont know if it helps out with our killing the world according to "the world has a headache" Al gore.

If you refer to that pic of the chart, its the fatter hose on the far left of the Airbox.
There should be a charcoal canister under the pressure bottle. about the size of a smaller coffee can. three connections on it. One goes to the gas tank, the other to the intake tube, after the airbox, and the other is capped off. I suppose if theres no canister anymore, and you cant conenct the PCV
to the airbox, then the next logical step would be to connect the PCV to where the Charcoal canister was hooked up,allthough i dont think i would. The blow-by of oil into the airbox was on the front side of the filter. so any oil was stopped by that filter.
If you place it after the filter, youll be getting oil in the intake, and the combustion chambers. which probably wont hurt anything. However i dont want dirty crankcase oil going in my Cylinders. It seems to me it would be in-effiencient.

Wallyman said:
I dont have mine connected anymore, i have a filter on the top of the lifter cover. It may not be thr ight way to do it, but i didnt wanna buy a new PCV and line, the older one broke due to it being brittle.

Yeah, I have those little filters (which is what I believe you're talking about) I took them off of my car. So, I guess I'll search for them and put one where the PCV would sit. And, yeah, it was getting oil into the air box (which I had to clean out).

Jess said:
that would be the charcoal canister you are refering to. It is for gas recirculation. As far as I know it is realy not needed, but everyone says you are supposed to have it anyway.

It should be mounted on the "frame rail", near the firewall, on the passenger side.

Yup! Then I don't have it. But, if it's not needed then I guess I don't need to replace it.

Thanks so much, again, guys. I really appreciate the help. I believe that's it for the vacuum hoses. I'm starting to take a look at the wiring now ( oh my...) it's been terribly altered...

Again, thanks!

Back