• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lookin for a cheap upgrade

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I have rough country rear aals and want to ditch the aal. I need cheap and heard a rumor that I can get dakota rear leafs to achieve my 3'' lift to match the rusty's front. If that is true, what year, model dakota should I be looking for at the junk yard.

secondly,
I have 192k miles on my 88 4.0l and wanted to know what y'all suggested between an overhaul or just pulling a used 4.0HO out of a junk yard and rebuilding that from ground up on the bench.

new xj owner looking for advice.

Last edited:
Someone will show up and tell you to search, it's been covered. Im not going to tell you that, I wouldn't want to spoil the fun.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

Bunch of info on the subject, I havn't gotten through all 13 pages yet but it's a start.

And as far as rebuilding the 4.0, if you are gonna take it out and do much to it to make it "good as new" you might want to look into building it as a stroker. Just a thought.

Use the searh option...hahaha, I just had to throw that in here before the "Search Nazi's" got ahold of ya! As far as the rebuild, I second the idea of making it a stroker if your going to all the trouble of taking it out. If you need info on a stroker, use the search feature, it has been covered more then enough. But one other thing, if your high milage scares you, dont let it. If it still runs fine now, then keep driving it until it craps out. I have a 93 XJ Country that has 286,000 on the original motor and I drive it every day. Just my $.02

I used the dakota springs with the eyes chopped off mounted on my stock main leafs. I put my add a leaf on there too and netted right at 5.5". Flexes great and rides smooth as stock.

As far as stroking here's all you need to know on the rebuild trail. You can spend $2000 rebuilding a junkyard HO, or you can spend $2000 rebuilding a junkyard HO into a stroker and gain 70-80HPavg. Answer might seem simple but the stroker to get a deal you need to search and scavenge the junkyards and forums.

Back