• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Locker Install

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently installed a Lock-rite in my front D30. I converted from disco to non-disco shafts at the same time and pulled all of the old vacume lines and blocked off the transfercase vacume switch.

I am a little shocked at the amount of binding there is with this new locker installed in 2wd? The locker opperates almost as much in 2wd as it does in 4wd? I have verified that the transfer case is working properly, I am just surprised I can tell that the locker is there in 2wd.

Do others have the same issues?
Michael

Well, I took it out on the road earlier today and it is most definetly engaging in 2wd. I can barely turn at all in drive on asphault or concrete either with my foot on the gas or off of the gas. It does turn much better in Neutral.

I am assuming I should take it back out and re-examine the way it is installed?

I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the housing, transfer case, or anything else.

Michael

Sounds more like the only issue is being in 4wd all the time. try pulling the front shaft and see if it goes away maybe? I don't know anything about converting disconnect to non, but could something be awry in there?

I looks like (from the bag of parts left over) that the old thrust washers were not installed with the locker!! I actually did not do the install, so I can blame it on my friends but I will not tell who it was;)

So, looks like it will be coming back apart and trying again.
I assume this could make a big difference in how it performs?

Thanks,
Michael

some what on topic, I just put an Aussie in my D30, and although it doesn't engage when its not supposed to, the racket it kicks up is much more than I was expecting.
I figured for some 'clicking' getting worse the tighter the turn I was in, but this is almost scary. A wide 90* turn in the city is one thing, but pulling into a parking spot it really rachets. I could care less about the looks of 'ah something is wrong with your Jeep buddy' but its something I am gonna have a hard time explaining to passengers time and time again, not to mention convincing myself all is well.
I was expecting the Aussie to be 'invisible' in 2wd, some clicking of course, but this is loud. Other than just going to a heavier weight to reduce the sound is this a common thing with lunch boxes, or could this be something else?
Going to re check my PSI's again tomorrow, locker was installed 2 weeks ago, maybe 400miles on it, went together fine by myself and someone who had installed an Aussie and his Detroits before.
thanks for help

I don’t have a locker and this is just my theory so feel free to correct me if I’m off here. I was thinking about getting a locker and getting rid of the disco in mine and after looking at the system I figured I would feel the locker and hear it ratcheting if I were to get rid of the disconnect. Without hubs to unlock, the axels spin with the wheels. The drivers side is turning the diff and with out the disco on the passengers side, that axle is trying to turn the diff at a different speed in a turn. So if you still had the disconnect on the axel or if you installed some hubs you could unlock you wouldn’t feel the locker at all in 2WD. If not, you going to know that locker is there even in 2WD unless you have a locker you can disengage like an air or mechanical one..

A lockright/aussie type locker is not COMPLETELY invisible in 2wd. You will feel that ratcheting/banging a little on tight corners, like pulling into a parking spot as you described. I've had good luck /w a good synthetic gear oil calming the noise down a little. And I've had the same lockers be much quieter in some rigs and noisier in others, I don't know what the explanation is... and I've installed LOTS of them. For most people, the performance off road far outweighs the clunking and banging experienced on road. A stick shift rig is also going to have more noise than an auto rig... and a longer wheelbase like our XJ's is better than say a Wrangler.

John

beakie said:
some what on topic, I just put an Aussie in my D30, and although it doesn't engage when its not supposed to, the racket it kicks up is much more than I was expecting.
I figured for some 'clicking' getting worse the tighter the turn I was in, but this is almost scary. A wide 90* turn in the city is one thing, but pulling into a parking spot it really rachets. I could care less about the looks of 'ah something is wrong with your Jeep buddy' but its something I am gonna have a hard time explaining to passengers time and time again, not to mention convincing myself all is well.
I was expecting the Aussie to be 'invisible' in 2wd, some clicking of course, but this is loud. Other than just going to a heavier weight to reduce the sound is this a common thing with lunch boxes, or could this be something else?
Going to re check my PSI's again tomorrow, locker was installed 2 weeks ago, maybe 400miles on it, went together fine by myself and someone who had installed an Aussie and his Detroits before.
thanks for help

Johnny O. said:
I don’t have a locker and this is just my theory so feel free to correct me if I’m off here. I was thinking about getting a locker and getting rid of the disco in mine and after looking at the system I figured I would feel the locker and hear it ratcheting if I were to get rid of the disconnect. Without hubs to unlock, the axels spin with the wheels. The drivers side is turning the diff and with out the disco on the passengers side, that axle is trying to turn the diff at a different speed in a turn. So if you still had the disconnect on the axel or if you installed some hubs you could unlock you wouldn’t feel the locker at all in 2WD. If not, you going to know that locker is there even in 2WD unless you have a locker you can disengage like an air or mechanical one..

My Non disco D30 Detroit makes no noise in 2wd. I can't even tell it is in there.

Thanks John for the input.

I will be pulling the front axle apart again and re-installing with the thrust washers.

I will let you know how it works after it is done.

Michael

beakie said:

As Avanteone says, it could be the gear oil. Powertrax, maker of the LockRight, says to run 85-140 if the noise bothers you and that should help quiet it down. Running the standard 75-90 is apparently just not thick enough to mask the noise. That being said, it's hard to say how much that will affect your fuel economy. I've always run 75-90 in my front end and it makes a little noise but for the most part it can't be heard over all the other noises my rig makes.

Well, I tore it all apart this evening and the thrust washers were not installed. 3 of the 4 pin's were sheered (there for it was not unlocking). I assume/hope that the only reason the pin's could have gotten sheered was because the thrust washers were not there allowing the two halfs to open up too much? My plan is to get new pin's and a new "Hardened center pin" and put it all back together.

Thanks again for all of the help, input, etc.

Michael

Check the instructions on the loc-rite. It lists a clearance from the cross shaft to the side plates. If it's out of spec it needs to be shimmed properly. Funny how none of the installs you read about list this little step. Without the washers, the side plates are way to far apart.

tbburg said:
Check the instructions on the loc-rite. It lists a clearance from the cross shaft to the side plates. If it's out of spec it needs to be shimmed properly. Funny how none of the installs you read about list this little step. Without the washers, the side plates are way to far apart.

Yep, I read that in the instructions and will be measuring once it is all back together.

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks guys for the input.

I put the whole thing back together with new pin's, springs, new Hardned Cross Pin, and new thrust washers.

It works great. Almost invisible in 2wd on the road (it is slightly louder, I suspect due to the front driveshaft spinning) and in 4wd it is locked up but I am able to turn reasonably (just much heavier).

I will probably switch both axles to the heavier Hypoid oil next change just to help keep it quiet;)

Thanks,
Michael

Back