• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do OME leafs hold up?

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey quick question, i have a new set of 3" OME leafs im about to press new bushings into and install and I was told not to run my current 1.5" lift shackles(teraflex if it matters) Due to it possibly shortening the life of the leafs and changing the pinion angle. My Q is.. Anyone run 1.5 inch shackles on OME leafs and how are they holding up after some miles? Also, since ill be doing a TC drop (temporary) wont the angle change actually help with vibes or do i have it backwards? Thanks alot for any info- just want to get this straight before the install

put 1.5" shackles on my 96 with 100k miles and took one good road trip and caused my leafs to flatten out...couldnt even put 2 people in the back or my 30s would scrub on small bumps in the road...put 3" rough country aad on and settled to like 2.5".

I ran 3" OME leafs with 1 OME AAL in each pack for about a year when they had sagged to about 2.25" and caused my 31s to rub too much. I've added Rocky Road 1.5" shackles to the setup now and have about 4" total lift. I also added 3 degrees shims to point the pinion down to retain parallel t-case/pinion setup (stock shaft).

After running this for about 3 months with a lot of offroading and about 5k total miles there has been no sign of sagging and I'm sure it flexes better (probably because of better shackle movement).

I'd say go for it, maybe fit some shims if needed, maybe even an OME AAL in each as well to resist the sagging - the OME AAL doesn't make the pack really stiff like some.

I've had a set of the 3" OME packs in mine for probably 40-50k (mostly street miles) running MJ Shackles and some Daystar poly bushings. I haven't really seen much if any sagging. I normally have about 150-200lb in the back between the Hi-Lift, tools, and my "unsticking" box of stuff. They have worked really well with my 30x9.5 BFG ATs and definately reccommend trying them.

I've got he OME heavy constant load rears with the TeraFlex 1.5" and OME med duty front with ACOS and Nitro's extended on all 4 corners and I am very impressed with the ride, handle and load carrying ability. No problems with running the shackles, 4 months now of towing. That combo should give you about 4.5" rear and what ever you want to adjust to in the front!

jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

Sweet, that looks nice. Now all i have to do is guess how much of a coil spacer will put me level with new 3.5 RE coils and ill be set. Thanks alot guys!

You may not need any!

It will have a little rake, about 1", but will set level when loaded. I think some rake looks good on a XJ anyway!

My OME med fronts are only 2" lift and I have about 2" dialed into the ACOS. With 200# tongue weight(3100# total wt.) of the boat/trailer you see there its sitting with a slight squat, but thats about all that it will sag at a static stance. There is also about 125# of tools and recovery equipment in the rear of the XJ.

Good luck on the OME, you will not regret buying them.

I'd go with the above, RE springs are known for giving more lift than advertised. I wouldn't be surprised if there was as little as 1/2" difference, and you'll lose that once you load it up/tow/beat it up on trails for 6 months.

Back