• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar removal Q

pingen

NAXJA Forum User
How bad does it effect the handleing when you take the sway bars off? Does the rear or front effect it worse? And one more, if yall were to take one off, which one would you remove and still drive it on the road daily?
P.S. Im stock height for now...

Remove the rear, leave the front. when wheeling, you could buy/build some front sway bar disco's if you so choose, but the rear one is kind of obsolete. No reason to keep it, but don't tell anyone I said that. :anon:

LABMBA87 said:
Remove the rear, leave the front. when wheeling, you could buy/build some front sway bar disco's if you so choose, but the rear one is kind of obsolete. No reason to keep it, but don't tell anyone I said that. :anon:
Dont worry, I wont tell anyone you said it....

EVERYONE, LABMBA87 SAID THE REAR SWAY IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!!

My 94 XJ is my dd. I bought it and where I met the guy in portland, I removed the sway bar in the parking lot. Front one is good to keep and well worth the ride. Get rid of the rear sway bar. What kind of XJ do you have?party1:

Swaybars increase spring rate. Not being an expert on suspension jargon, I can only explain it in that way. Of course the swaybar does something. If it didn't, it wouldn't be there as it would be a lot cheaper to avoid making them to begin with.

At 8" of lift on 35" mud terrains, all I can say is: the front swaybar makes a HUGE difference on the highway and at lower speeds. My XJ feels like a loaf of bread without it.

Oh sh&t.

the sway bar question.

Fact: Dump the rear, it is for the most part, unless you are street racing, useless.

Fact: removing the front CAN dramatically alter the handling on road, and not in a good way.

Personal observation: On MINE, with my shocks, springs, axles, body weight, etc... I do not miss it at all. However....without knowing you, your vehicle, etc. I would NOT recommend removing yours.

Rev

bigolexj said:
At 8" of lift on 35" mud terrains, all I can say is: the front swaybar makes a HUGE difference on the highway and at lower speeds. My XJ feels like a loaf of bread without it.

i took mine off because it was rubbing the springs . I'm definitely putting it back on . i wouldn't recommend not running the front .iv also reconsidered running one in the rear if i could make a discounectt for it .otherwize no say bar = scary handeling .
6" and 35's

rear disco = replacing the bolt on the spring perch with a pin and tie off to an extended rear bumpstop. The hard part is finding one that will not make contact with a factory offset wheel. I'm still looking but I have the idea...

Also not all XJ's came with the rear sway bar, the off road package or Up Country (??) were slightly lifted factory and had no rear sways. Food for thought.

i am in the process of getting disconnect for the front cuase its all messed up and i dont notice a huge difference but i always rarely take it on the highway the rear if it brakes i woudlnt replace it but i woudlnt just take it off for no reason like said up there somewhere it is there for a reason

Thanks yall. I know it takes away flex... right? Well, it did when I used to own a Suzuki Samuria so I just took the sway bar off and it handled ALOT better for some reason and had alot more flex also. Thanks for all the information and tips. I guess I'll take it off and see what happens with that.

when I bougt my 88 laredo it didn't have the front sway attached. I took it off this after noon as it was just as useless to me not attached. I have a 3.5'' w/ 31s. I live in portland, or and do just fine driving 55 in the curves. not telling you that its a good idea to remove it though. if it wasn't a good idea jeep would have never put them on in the first place.

With stiff front springs and the correct shock damping handing is acceptable without a front swaybar for me. With stock springs or soft springs handling is poor. Ask the JeepSpeed guys, if I remember correctly almost all run without swaybars. It's all about proper suspension set-up.

You'll have to make up your own mind.

I run one of my XJ's with one and the other without one.

Another thing to consider is if you tow anything. You mention your rig is a stock 92 Laredo, unless you put on upgraded rear leafs like what the up-country at least had, then you could remove the rear anti-sway bar. With a stock suspension keep your swaybars and do the diconnect route as mentioned above. The stock springs especially on a 92 are going to be awefully tired. IMHO. -B

Back