• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting oil in t-case

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
cant seem to get the oil in the t-case as there is not enough room to get a funnel in or tip up a bottle. i live six blocks from a oil and lube will it be fine if i drive it dry up there.also how many quarts does the t-case take?

Hard to believe, but if you say so. I just put the bottle on it's side and pour. Use a length of tubing long enough to reach outside the vehicle and attach a funnel to it. An NP231 takes about 2 1/2 qts IIRC.

I wouldn't go anywhere without fluid in it. I use a cap that came on a bottle of gear oil and squeeze it in there. You could always put it in an empty mustard bottle or something and use that.

I "thought" all the Transfer Cases Require "ATF" NOT Gear Oil? ATF+4 is synthetic and now has been licensed for the aftermarket, you can get it for $2.75 a quart at Walmart under the SuperTech brand, right next to it is the MOPAR brand, but almost twice the cost.

I had a real pain with this too. I had to keep cutting away at a funnel until I could get it up close to the body. I'd suggest using a hand pump that you could get at a autoparts retailer. That or the long tube may be the easiest.

Don't drive it around.

Josh

Plews (the grease gun people) make a "suction gun" that's like a syringe, and it holds about a half-pint. Buy two - they're fairly cheap, and also help with filling your axles as well.

I can find them at hardware stores and the local parts house out here, so it shouldn't be difficult. Failing that, go to their website (www.plews.com, IIRC) and see if you can order it there.

Best tool for the job.

Any hardware store will have tubing, just get a couple of feet. I rig my tube up to plastic quart can of the trans fluid cut in half as a funnel. Worked great in all my manual trans in different cars, to be honest, I haven't filled a transfer case.

Pretty easy. Get a quart of gear oil when you do your diffs and use the tip on a standard quart. get about 8 inches of tubing and run it into the diff and to the lid on the quart. squeeze like hell and put the lid on the next quart. Pretty easy folks.

LABMBA87 said:
Pretty easy. Get a quart of gear oil when you do your diffs and use the tip on a standard quart. get about 8 inches of tubing and run it into the diff and to the lid on the quart. squeeze like hell and put the lid on the next quart. Pretty easy folks.
Same method I use!!! you beat me to it...

A suction tube is a good tool....but not the best.

This is the best....attach a hose to the nozzle.

SD050P.jpg

I use one like this for trans, Xfer case, and axles.

Rev

Back