• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla header with auto tranny?

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of going with a borla header until i saw their *note Automatics may require modifications. i have a 95 i6 with the aw4 will i really have to mod anything if so what? also does the banks header for the same XJ came with or even make a down pipe like the borla has? thanks, jason

polar_jeep_04 said:
i was thinking of going with a borla header until i saw their *note Automatics may require modifications. i have a 95 i6 with the aw4 will i really have to mod anything if so what? also does the banks header for the same XJ came with or even make a down pipe like the borla has? thanks, jason

FYI, Borla does not have a downpipe for the XJ.

Don't know what 91 Jeep Project is smoking. I've got a complete Borla exhaust on my 94 (albeit a 5spd) and it's got everything from the manifold flange back except for the catalytic converter.

Can't speak to the auto question.

I have a borla, and it includes the head pipe....no issues at all. Mine is automatic by the way.

It's been quite a while, I installed it on my 94 in 1999.

My '95 4.0 AW-4 has a Borla header/downpipe that runs to the converter. I bought in back in 2001. It fit perfect with no issues.

Actually, there is one fitment issue to be aware of. You might have a problem with the front driveshaft smacking the header, especially if your axle is shifted to the passenger side a bit (misadjusted trackbar?) or if you've got a small lift.

Yes, I had that exact problem on my 96. The Borla got smacked pretty good by the DS, even though my axle is centered and I have about 5" of lift.

xjohnnyc said:
Yes, I had that exact problem on my 96. The Borla got smacked pretty good by the DS, even though my axle is centered and I have about 5" of lift.

Dido!! had the same problem. I hit so many times I developed a hole and had to take it in to the shop for repairs.

91 Jeep Project said:
When did this happen. I'll admit that it's been a long while since I researched the exhaust offerings. But it used to be they only made the crossover pipe for the wranglers.

I can't remember when I installed it. Must have been around 1997 - 98.

Had to bring this back up because I am currently installing a Borla header and crosspipe on my '89 with the AX-15 manual tranny. Has anybody ever experinced fitment issues? My crosspipe seems to be hitting my bellhousing and it won't line up with the flange mount at the crossmember.

TNT said:
My '95 4.0 AW-4 has a Borla header/downpipe that runs to the converter. I bought in back in 2001. It fit perfect with no issues.

Same here. Did mine around 2003 I think it was... '95 XJ, 4.0L, AW4.

borla01.jpg

Install pics at http://jeepin.net/photos/v/installs/borla/

No clearance issues with the DS, but I run a LP axle too.

Back